Losing Points after Locus Crashes

Started by DougPeterson, September 27, 2014, 03:17:42

DougPeterson

I am experiencing a number of crashes with Locus Pro 3.2.3 on a Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.4.2.  The crashes seem to occur when I am trying to access a point or a points folder and only started occurring in the past few days.  It looks like I installed 3.2.3 on September 8.

After the crash all the points folders have been lost.  There is a small 36 KB waypoints.db file with only empty Favorites and My Points folders showing up under Points Data.  The original file appears to have been renamed waypoints.db.back.  Simply trying to rename the original file does not help any as Locus crashes again.  I have tried restoring a prior waypoints file from a backup but Locus still crashes.  The Tracks database appears to be unaffected by this. 

I have also rebooted the phone but the same behavior is occurring.  I could try reinstalling a prior version of Locus as well as trying to restore an even older waypoints file if that would help.
  •  

DougPeterson

I tried restoring the most recent backup.  I then tried exporting one of the points folders.  No points were exported and the export file was only a few hundred bytes in size.  While Locus was running I checked the database directory.  There was no waypoints database there.

I then tried going back in time through the automated backups.  Eventually I found a backup where the waypoints database worked.  I think a crash from earlier in the week may have partially corrupted the waypoints database.  Visible points show up on the map and can be edited from the map.  All the folders were on the Data screen with point counts but were not usable there.  That is where the crashes occurred.

I have not lost too much data.  I record points for later entry in OSM and was anxious about losing data I had not entered, particularly from vacation trips earlier this year.  Fortunately I automatically export track data so I could just reimport that.  I have changed the automated backup settings now to be daily and for a longer period.
  •