Off track warning

Started by Masterijn, August 03, 2014, 20:37:40

Masterijn

When walking along a route I found that Locus incorrectly warns about being off track. I guess Locus computes how one is off track by calculating the distance to the active waypoint. But on many routes, with long straight lines this waypoint can be quite far away. I would like it better if the distance to the active route section (the line to the active waypoint, from the previous) would be taken. In the case of going off track, I would like locus to talk (tts) me to the closest point on that section instead of to the active waypoint. I find it important that I can take the right roads, even if the wrong road is also close to the active waypoint. By measuring the distance to the active section, the max off track distance can be tighter, and the distances from tts will be smaller and more usefull. Now I get false messages like route is 100 m on 0 o clock. I would like correct messages like: route is 20 meters 10 o clock.  This is good info on which to decide wether to take another road in real life or wether its a false message coming from gps inaccuracy.
  •  

Masterijn

Indeed guiding modus. The out of track setting in meters is, when implemented to tracksections a balance between more false warnings or slow correct warnings. I think 20 meters should be possible. If one gets a false warning on a straight road, i can keep the phone in my pocket and because it happens only in the case the gps is temporarily inaccurate it will only happen sometimes. With a good smoothing algorithm this can be further reduced. Now the off track distance needs to be chosen with the distance between points in mind. Most off the routes I draw are with the use of Brouter, which give great accuracy and sometimes a lot distance between waypoints, when roads are straight. So my wish would be that Locus is mathematically more optimal, without creating more waypoints.
  •  

Masterijn

Bedankt voor alle uitleg, thanks for your reaction. For 20 meters this workaround won't be enough. It is probably best if this is solved fundamentally in Locus. In the field I also sometimes get wrong direction via speech, which shouldn't have to happen if the guiding is implemented completely thought out. This means leaving the idea, that one is "only" traveling from one point to another. From a developer perspective it isn't obvious that a new track has to be created to get navigation commands.
  •  

Masterijn

Thanks for your reaction. Maybe GPSBabel can be used, to extrapolate trackpoints, but it isn't the road I would like to travel:). Most of the time i'm hiking with my family, including one 4 year old. I guess the average speed is 1 meter per sec. So 50 meters correspond to 50 secs, almost a minute. That's why I would like the distance to be very short, somewhere between gps accuraracy. Which I believe can get more and more accurate with galileo satelites. I don't know wether these are supported by my phone, but there is where beautiful possibilities ly. Because Locus uses the suboptimal off road calculation, I have to do a check every time I meet a crossroad in real life. This means placing a trolley upright, getting the smartphone out of my waistbag, looking, smartphone back, thumbs up to the family, and pulling the trolley down the road again. I would like to change this behavior into just listening to the voice commands from locus. However this is still better than having to do a route preparation to get it to work the way it should imo :).
  •