Offline navigation - GraphHopper - preparation

Started by Menion, July 16, 2014, 20:43:19

Andrew Heard

Quote from: Paul Keizer on September 27, 2014, 11:27:52
Hi,

A few weeks ago I first tried GH. I downloaded Netherlands and Belgium.  Worked well.
Last week I transferred Locus to SD-card.
And this morning I downloaded GH France.
And I tried tot navigate in France. No go!
Back to GH Add-in, to select France. Seems to work. But not the navigation.
Back tot the GH add-in. He, it is still on Belgium. Select France again.
Leave add-in, and start it up again. Hé, Still Belgium is selected.
Try to select Netherlands (worked, a few weeks ago). Leave add-inn and start again. Still Belgium.

Ergo: Selecting an other country does not work anymore. Has it to do with the Locus transfer to SD-card? What can I do?

Thanks!
Paul.
Paul - did you get GH routing working again? I can see no other suggestions or further discussion in this topic. GH routing works for me in my native country - Tasmania/ Australia. But when I swap maps to France, ile-de-france.osm-gh, I get a Locus error displayed, possibly same as you? I am using GN 0.1.3. Routing works fine with BRouter. Both points are on the same map, and only 3km apart. I have tried points further and closer together.

edit
Whoops - I worked it out ::) - I must manually run the "Locus GraphHopper" app & explicitly select one of the GH regions I have copied to the GraphHopper folder. My mistake.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

gynta

Quote from: Andrew Heard on March 05, 2015, 05:17:15...I must manually run the "Locus GraphHopper" app & explicitly select one of the GH regions...
..as i wrote in reply #1 in this thread
http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4036.msg30868#msg30868
Quote...
start aplication adon and choose source routing data
;D
but good to hear there is more interest about this addon.
And now we hope for an update  ;)

Andrew Heard

Slightly off topic but after some email discussion with dev Peter from GraphHopper, I find a more important distinction between BRouter and GH - BRouter routing rules/ costs are heavily determined via a profile script which a user (non-programmer) can modify/ tweak or substitute, whereas GH routing rules/ costs are currently determined solely by the Java code within the packaged APK, meaning a non-programmer can't modify/ tweak or substitute other than choosing one of the 5 Locus profiles (fast/ short car, fast/ short bike, walker). I have found GH favors "dirt track" over "primary road" for a Locus "fast bike" profile however I have no control over this. I'd like to stay on the sealed road if possible. There is no current way to alter this logic, so I revert to using BRouter, even if Compute Instructions are not available.
  •  

tommi

I'm not really surprised.
What we've got up to now is the very first version of the Locus GraphHopper app, so to say an alpha or pre-alpha version.
Making a solution mature needs users testing it and giving feedback followed up by the developers fixing and improving it - none of these two conditions were met till now  :(
  •  

Andrew Heard

Just browsing the GH code, a tremendous amount of effort has gone into the project, so a big bravo to the developers. An amazing effort. I hope they continue to improve GH.
  •  

jusc

Quote from: Andrew Heard on March 04, 2015, 23:28:12

edit
Whoops - I worked it out ::) - I must manually run the "Locus GraphHopper" app & explicitly select one of the GH regions I have copied to the GraphHopper folder. My mistake.

Did anybody test what happens if you create a route that overlaps two regions. Iin BRouter there is no problem as long you have downloaded the needed *rd files, because you don´t have to choose the region.
Regards J.
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: jusc on March 06, 2015, 09:42:09
Did anybody test what happens if you create a route that overlaps two regions. Iin BRouter there is no problem as long you have downloaded the needed *rd files, because you don´t have to choose the region.
I seem to remember that Menion said earlier that one of the weaknesses of Graphhopper is that it cannot cross regions and that is why it will have to stay as an unsupported beta.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

Menion

Yes and two more missing features ... one way roads and roundabouts. Anyway to be true I do not know if any of these issue is solved ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Quote from: menion on March 06, 2015, 16:04:12
Yes and two more missing features ... one way roads and roundabouts. Anyway to be true I do not know if any of these issue is solved ...
Give us a new version and new data and we'll find out
  •  

gynta

tommi

Hey, GraphHopper 0.4 is out!
https://karussell.wordpress.com/2015/03/09/releasing-graphhopper-0-4-and-the-graphhopper-directions-api/

Wouldn't it be a good opportunity to update Locus integration of GraphHopper?
The outdoor season is coming soon and the questions for offline routing and navigation in Locus don't stop.
  •  

Menion

Yes, it's a good reason ... cannot promise now, but I'll try to look at it during March
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

Thank you Tommi for this hint.
Unfortunately I can´t find any about the planned route overlaps more than one region.
But another feature sounds interesting. "Snap to Road" makes all of your recorded tracks looking perfect.  ;D
Regards J.
  •  

gynta

FYI
fwd from http://help.locusmap.eu/topic/not-always-offline#comment-15835
Quote from: menionData are in preparation ... hope till end of April will be ready to download. I have to also find a time to update GraphHopper add-on, this will be worst ..

ringen00

•