POI Alert - Notification Titel with Tasker

Started by TJungmann, May 25, 2014, 21:19:51

TJungmann

Hi,

i use Tasker on my phone (Samsung S3 mini).
The POI Alerts from Locus Pro shows "POI Alart (xxx m)" in Titel and " x Points..." in Notification-Body.

With Tasker, I only can read the %NTITLE, so it is imposible to use the notification for actions.

Is it possible to show number of POIs in Notification Title.
  •  

Menion

Hi,

this is very un-usual and for me surprising way how to use notification :). Nice. May you tell me what you plan to do with information you receive from this notification?

All Locus services should use same style of notification - main line is name of sevice with major parameters and on second line are variables that change it's value. What you ask is to change this behavior. For this I need really serious reason.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

eldron

Sorry to dig up such an old post, but I have a very similar problem. I am using a software for automation called automagic, which is very similar to tasker. My aim is to make my smartwatch vibrate when I get close to a waypoint, using the POI alert feature of locus.
Does Locus broadcast an intent when a POI alert is triggered, that I could use to trigger my task? Automagic can use new statusbar notifications as a trigger, but as Locus just updates the existing notification when a POI gets in range, I also can´t use that as a trigger.
Does anyone know how I can solve this?
  •  

Menion

Good day eldron,
currently there is no such feature - like broadcast of intent with information that another point is in range. As I see, such feature is only option, because creating a new notification instead of updating existing is not a solution.

In automagic is no method that react on any change in notification? It reacts only on new notifications?

I'm asking because extending Locus API for such broadcast 1) take some time, 2) for really a few people, it just involve CPU for a while on all devices. I know if may be optional, but it's even more work with some settings etc.
  •  

eldron

Hi Menion
thanks for your reply. I can understand that you don´t really want to spend time on such a feature that not a lot of people use. That´s why I was looking for some sort of solution with the existing possibilities, but so far with no luck. I was hoping that automagic could use the POI alert sound or vibration as a trigger, but it looks liek that´s not possible. I´m still waiting to hear back from the automagic developer to see if he has an idea for a solution.
It seems to be possible to monitor an existing notification for changes, but if i select that option it get´s triggered every few seconds. How does locus refresh the POI alert notification? Every time the user´s position change, every few seconds or just when there really is a new notification?
Also the wording of the POI alert makes it difficult to write a trigger that can act on text changes - it goes from "0 points in range" to "name of the poi and distance" to "x points in range". That makes it hard to come up with a text-filter based trigger that would trigger on just one POI being close by, as that POI´s name and distance can´t be predicted. The trigger would have to react to anything that´s not equal to "0 points in range". But then it would also trigger when it goes back from 2 to 1 points in range.
Sorry to bother you with this, but I could image that this might be of interest to more people in the future, with more and more people (and thereby locus users) using smartwatches. Because the aim of my attempts is to get the watch to vibrate on POI alerts.
  •  

Menion

Hi,

complicated task with many options :). I've for now changed method how Locus update notifications. If you are able to register some listener on changes in text, then this will be the way. In next version, Locus will update notification in system bar only when there will be any change. Currently it was when something change OR once per 2 seconds.

Let me know if this will be enough.
  •  

eldron

Hi menion,
this is why I love locus so much - an amazing app AND awesome support.
Thanks a lot for your help, I´ll be looking forward to the next version and will give you feedback once I have tried it.
  •