Test version from GooglePlay

Started by Menion, April 25, 2014, 15:30:04

berkley

Menion, just a quick proposal.
What about setting up a "new" app called "Locus Maps Beta"?

This app never reaches production status, just stays in beta release. Set up the same Google+ group as testers.

That way you could avoid the problem with confusing your testers for not knowing the current release date and build number. Also you could use ANR's and crash reports directly through the dev console and match them to the current beta version. Same thing for comments or reviews. They are visible to your testers and you, but nobody else (except Google  ::) ).
You could also implement some methods against piracy.  :P

This idea came along my mind as I remembered some story, where developers are using the alpha and beta release feature on Google Play to exclusively deploy some apps to users. With the background to avoid the 30+ percentage rate that Google saves for itself.
BTW, Google charges only 5% for apps in the Chrome Store.

Anyway, I think you got the idea.  8)
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

@gynta, michael: thanks, I'll try next time set one more possibility. There is one field where I should write some short text for every version, so I'll try if there will be any influence and if you will se some special text that you install Beta version

@berkley: yes, I already thought about it, but it's for me so a lot more complicated that was this forum. If this solution (Google+), won't work perfectly for everyone, I'll rather return back to testing over forum, then this. But thanks, appreciate your feedback.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

Quote from: menion on May 01, 2014, 18:27:13If this solution (Google+), won't work perfectly for everyone, I'll rather return back to testing over forum, then this.
I would support this ;D
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

•  

jusc

Regards J.
  •  

Menion

•  

berkley

Then you could set up cloud messaging and notify testers every time a new version exists with direct link to download from Dropbox.

http://developer.android.com/google/gcm/index.html

Edit:
Damn, Play Service needed...
http://help.locusmap.eu/responses/custom_maps_from_new_google_maps_engine
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

eldron

Hi Menion
I would like to continue beta testing, but I am not willing to join google+ . is there a way at the moment to do so?
In an earlier Post you said that you could add a way (a google group) to allow people to download the test versions without using google+ .Does that exist yet?
  •  

eldron

Any news on this yet? Would like to try the new version that was released today.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: Robin99 on May 08, 2014, 12:23:03
I would like to test new beta version, but without sign in to Google+. I absolutely not need google+ in my life ;) Is there any link to *.apk file like it was a some time ago?

Menion

•  

balloni55

Yesterday evening automatic update "free-test" start it selfe when i return to my home wifi :)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

this is how it should work. Just as normal versions :)
  •  

eldron

Quote from: menion on May 09, 2014, 07:14:57
oki eldron, please try this https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/locus-free-pro-beta-testing
Thanks Menion, works perfectly!
Only weird thing was, that the google group was empty when i logged in on my phone (no text, no link, nothing). Worked fine on the PC though.
New Locus test version is installed and running now :-)
  •  

Menion

•