Test version from GooglePlay

Started by Menion, April 25, 2014, 15:30:04

Henk van der Spek

Not only "personal problems with Google+ "  I have about 50 photo albums on Picasa with many links from my website and joining Google+ screws this up . I had that once allready. Too much work. And G+ makes the photo's too big so unusable for me.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

john_percy

I thought this is a really neat solution to the beta test scenario. I had some problems as G+ chose to log into the wrong account - I can't think why! - but I eventually sorted it.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

CaptKaos2

Quote from: Henk van der Spek on April 28, 2014, 12:41:20
Not only "personal problems with Google+ "  I have about 50 photo albums on Picasa with many links from my website and joining Google+ screws this up . I had that once allready. Too much work. And G+ makes the photo's too big so unusable for me.

Maybe one way around it is to make a new google account. I have 2, the one with Drive, Picaso and other personal things is only known by Freinds and Family.
  •  

balloni55

Hello menion,
thanks for new testversion :)
updating on PC is not a problem

but updating directly over device is not possible for me without G+ :(
Please add in future "Google Play Beta version" -link directly in your notifications mail?
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2.1 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

john_percy

Quote from: balloni55 on April 29, 2014, 15:07:09
updating directly over device is not possible for me without G+ :(
The link just activates the Beta version, which acts like a Google Play update of your Locus Free installation. No need for G+ on the phone/tablet as you can activate the link from PC. But you do need to use a G+ account linked with the same email address as you use for Google Play on your device..
  •  

balloni55

Hello John,
thanks for your answer
QuoteNo need for G+ on the phone
i  tryed it

in last screenshot you see the middel part of opened internet page, but i found no way to display the right part where the "Google Play Beta version" link is ???
i tryed it with sgs-browser and opera browser. With firefox i get an errormessage when i click on "mobile webside"
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

john_percy

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something. For me, once I had activated the beta version from G+ on a PC, it appeared as an update of the "normal" Locus Free via Google Play on my mobile devices, which is why you don't need G+ on your mobile device.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Quote from: CaptKaos2 on April 28, 2014, 13:04:30
Maybe one way around it is to make a new google account. I have 2, the one with Drive, Picaso and other personal things is only known by Freinds and Family.
Thanks for the tip, but no. Going "double " on my laptop and my phone is not the idea for me. The Google integration between phone and computer is great for me. The extra hassle of switching between one more email account is not going to happen; too accident prone.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Menion

@balloni: as John wrote. I also added hope that better description on "About community" page - https://plus.google.com/communities/105669867009952671671

You only need to join this community on google+, tap on one link and that's all. Since then, just install over Google Play normal Locus Free and you'll get latest Beta versions. When I upload new Beta version, you'll automatically get notification and will be able to update is as a regular update

@Henk, so you're the latest who has problems with it? Not personal, I know :). As was already said, you do not need Google+ app. You need Google+ web page to only one step - tap on button "Join this community". No more Google+ is even needed. I believe this is not a big problem.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

gynta

New Test version update from google play - first experience:

Receive Menions notification from google+ "New version..."
cool !
but...where is it?
  • On devices I tap "Play Store" App -> my apps
hmm, nothig to do - no updates - just waiting...
  • waiting.
  • waiting.
After reading first respone about new test version - i was impatiently
  • ok - looking again -> Nothing :/
  • reading balloni's topic about PC update and have also been tried.
    updated now all devices over PC successfully
conclusion:
auto update does not work properly
or have to wait much(!) longer...

Menion

as I wrote previously, update may take up to two hours (my experience)

- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

szebenyib

I did not see Locus free updates. However it can help sometimes to check the app directly in play store because sometimes the button turns into update there sooner than it gets listed as an updateable app. ;-)
  •  

michaelbechtold

Two remarks:
- I (well, my Galaxy Note) saw Locus Free / Beta update yesterday night in GooglePlay (so it must have been uploaded and available in principle), and update-all never came back (liky Gynta saw it, too). This morning it did work, though.
- I advise to tell in OFFICAL place IN CAPITAL, BOLD LETTERS, that in GooglePlay, YOU CANNOT FIGURE OUT IF YOU HAVE Beta in front of you. No current beta APK date, nothing. It is all hidden and implicit. And only AFTER install, you can find out what you got.

Once I got beyond that initially, last week, the updates work just fine.

Cheers
Michael
  •  

gynta

Quote from: szebenyib on April 30, 2014, 10:43:53
...because sometimes the button turns into update
That's the point.
The button shows always "installed" but if you click on it - you can choose your devices to update. (talking about PC Version)
I'll be watching the next time again :)

and as Michael wrote.
A small info text wasn't a bad idea.

balloni55

Quote from: balloni55 on April 29, 2014, 19:37:13

in last screenshot you see the middel part of opened internet page, but i found no way to display the right part where the "Google Play Beta version" link is ???
Now i found a way to start the update manualy over device (not PC)
In "Opera mobile" menue/settings/useragent you can choose "Mobile" or "Desktop"
with setting "mobile" not all content of the webpage is displayed :(
with setting "desktop" the whole content of webside is visible, not in mobile format but with slide and zoom you can navigate to the "google play beta link" :)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •