Manual calibration of altitude?

Started by gps2003, April 05, 2014, 21:25:46

gps2003

I have problems with the manual calibration of the altitude

Situation

1. My device (Garmin Monterra) has a pressure sensor and I want to use this sensor to track the altitude.
2. At known points (start, fix measure points) I like to calibrate the sensor with the known value.

I'm using the following settings in locus altitude manager:

1.Settings

Use altitude offset = off
Use pressure sensor =  on
elevation data = not activated

2. Pressure sensor

I'm trying to use the altitude field in this dialog to calibrate the altitude. I use i.e. the correct value of 150m and press the Set-Button. It takes some time ("Load...").

If I'm starting  now a track or something Locus will still start with another value of the altitude which seems to be the wrong GPS altitude (in my example about 206m).

What I'm doing wrong ?
  •  

gps2003

This morning the behaviour was as expected.
I calibrate the altitude via the pressure sensor setting.
This time I got a confirmation dialog which was not shown yesterday.

During the tracking the altitude was correctly recorded.

•  

eldron

So how is the Garmin Monterra? Is it worth the money?
I mean it does come with quite a hefty price tag. I must say I am a bit surprised that garmin didn´t include a telephone function for emergency calls.
  •  

jusc

Regards J.
  •  

gps2003

Quote from: eldron on April 06, 2014, 12:15:00
So how is the Garmin Monterra? Is it worth the money?
I mean it does come with quite a hefty price tag. I must say I am a bit surprised that garmin didn´t include a telephone function for emergency calls.

Its too early to say something final about the Monterra. I got it last Wednesday, but in general I like it from the hardware point.
Especially the GPS unit is very accurate and stable.

The open android platform allows a lot of possibilities. However, the Monterra is nothing for people which are awaiting a GPS working out-of-the-box. The Garmin Android app is still a little bit buggy (several software crashes of the Garmin Outdoor App underline this. Locus is much more stable, no crashes also during logger test tracks.

But with the  Monterra  I can use all my maps on one device. My Garmin maps (esp. Alpenverein & Switzerland topo) and all my rmaps  from my old CompeGPS device.  And Locus is definitively a fine application for the Monterra. I like to give TwoNav also a test try, but actually I'm fascinating about the functionality of Locus.

Price Point: I got it new  for about 500€ and I think this price is ok for the given hardware quality.

•  

gps2003

•  

eldron

@gps2003
I´d like to welcome you in the world of locus and in this forum ;-)
I am sure you will be more and more fascinated by locus, the more you use it. And also by the great support and continuous development of this app.
  •  

gps2003

Unfortunately, the behavior of this functionality is not stable for my device. I observed this in the last two days. Frequently, the altitude is not accepted by the device. It appears the message ("Lade...") (means load),but nothing is happening for 2-3 minutes. It is necessary to interrupt this manually by going back.

If this problem occurs only a reboot of the whole device can solve the problem, sometimes more than one reboot is necessary. The behavior is then as expected. After entering the height value the confirm message appears, showing desired altitude and the corresponding air pressure.
  •