"You veered off the course" warning ?

Started by Testi, February 09, 2014, 12:22:05

Testi

Hello,

sometimes I import a course from Google Earth or similar and then follow it, like when I hike. Every now and then, I veer off the course while not looking, and then when I next check Locus like 20 minutes later and see I got lost, I have to go all the way back. Is there a way to make Locus ring a warning or whatever if you are more than x feet from a path or something like that ? Or what is the best way to follow a predetermined path without constantly looking at the map ?
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  are you using "Guiding" feature, or you just display track on map and from time to time you check by eyes this track?

Unfortunately we don't have yet manual on this tasks, but at least basic here - http://support.locusmap.eu/hc/en-us/articles/200197661
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Testi

I tried using the Guiding feature once, but it kept trying to guide me to the start of my track, no matter what I did, it wouldn't understand that I wanted to go forward.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Over the last couple of years I did more than 800 km of guiding on gpx tracks with Locus. Excellent feature.

When you saw:  "... it kept trying to guide me to the start of my track.." did you activate guiding after tapping on the track label that is visible when you hover over the track?

I usually select the track in Data/tracks/ with a short tap and then in the popup menu, I select "guiding".

In the guiding settings also select "Automatically select best/next point".

And set the audible notifications. First select on and then tap on the text left from the button. Then you get a menu to set :  distance, repeat and signal.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

Testi

I will play around with that the next time I go for a hike. Those tracks you use, are they just 'corner points', like what you get from Google Earth, where for long straight parts there is no points in between ?
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Nono, tracks with more points like the attached one from the internet (and we did walk this one).

How many points offcourse depends on the settings that the "recording person and tool" used.

You can also do a recording yourself in Locus and then try it out for guiding.
  •  

Testi

I tried it again today with the low point course I had and I got a single beep when I veered off course, and nothing after that. Also no way to configure that behaviour. If I somehow missed that beep, it could have taken forever for me to notice I wasn't on course anymore :(
  •  

Menion

•  

Henk van der Spek

Ah, the "boss"is faster. In screenshot one tap in the red circle, yes in the textlines (was a surprise discovery for me too some time ago) and then you get screen2 where you must activate repeat and set the repeat value (in seconds).Then, turn up the volume, put your phone in your pocket and '''walk ... walk ...

•  

Testi

Very cleverly hidden! Thank you, that looks exactly like what I was hoping for! I would have never found that on my own lol. I will report back after trying it. What will happen if I set it to beep at 250m, and I am between 2 points that are 1000m apart ? Will it understand that I'm still close to the 'line' ?
  •  

Menion

It's really so hidden? But Android in it's settings use same mechanism for Wi-fi, Bluetooth and some other ... damn
  •  

Christian

Yes its hidden. Never expected a enhanced menu when i slider is shown. Even in WLan settings :(
May be a small triangle beside the capture of the slider can help...
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion on February 13, 2014, 06:48:41
It's really so hidden?
no
QuoteBut Android in it's settings use same mechanism for Wi-fi, Bluetooth and some other ...
like you said...

KaHeMu

Quote from: Christian on February 13, 2014, 07:30:09
Yes its hidden. Never expected a enhanced menu when i slider is shown. Even in WLan settings :(
May be a small triangle beside the capture of the slider can help...

+1
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Quote from: Testi on February 13, 2014, 00:04:59
Very cleverly hidden! Thank you, that looks exactly like what I was hoping for! I would have never found that on my own lol. I will report back after trying it. What will happen if I set it to beep at 250m, and I am between 2 points that are 1000m apart ? Will it understand that I'm still close to the 'line' ?
Then it will beep like crazy! Proper tracks have the points at 50 to 100 meter distance. About 400 points for a days walk.

And yes , it is a "bit" hidden. I think it was Gynta who helped me find it about half a year ago. Well, that's what the forum is for.
  •