Open GPX file from an email-attachment in Locus

Started by franc, February 03, 2014, 14:30:09

franc

Hello

I started to track my tracks with locus (instead of My Tracks) and I set the CheckBox for "Send Data" in the tracking settings.
GPX version 1.1 (Track not as Route instead of TRK).
After tracking I send the gpx file with my email client k9mail to my friend.
Now she tries to open the attachment in her Note 10.1 (4.1.2) with Locus Pro but she got the error message:

Unexpected problem
Please contact me with description of
your problem.

Same on my phone (SGS2 CM10.2) when I try to do the same, to open the gpx directly from the attachment.
In file explorer there seems no intent filter for gpx for locus, so I guess the problem is with k9mail, which thinks locus could open it.

Locus can import gpx, this I know, but why is not possible to just send the gpx through locus and open it again with locus?

Is there another easy way to send the tracks to my friend?
Was easy with MyTracks :(

frank
(thank)
Locus Pro - always the actual version on Xiaomi Mi A1 mit Android 9
  •  

KaHeMu

Hi Frank,

good point to wrote here. Some month ago I noticed this issue and since there I saved the attachments first and imorted them with Locus (not very often!).
But this is only a workaround.

Regards,
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

Menion

Hmm I think I solved similar problem few days ago. Cannot now remember where exactly was a problem, but if you can, may you try it with testing version. Ah and yes, please try firstly download GPX file on card and import file from card. Because if this will work, problem is not in file itself, but in a way how locus try to get attachment from your email client.

And just tell, how you did it with myTracks?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

KaHeMu

Hi menion,

problem is definitely not in gpx-file, opening it from sd card do the job always.

Regards,
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

franc

Quote from: menion on February 03, 2014, 15:50:25...please try firstly download GPX file on card and import file from card. Because if this will work, problem is not in file itself...
Yes, something must be wrong with this track (tracked in locus!). When I imported it, it takes forever. So I push the Close button and closed Locus. Next start all my tracks and folder where gone. I had a backup (yeah!), from three days before, so not a big problem.
But when I just show the track without saving, I can import it without problems, which is amazing.
Quote from: menion on February 03, 2014, 15:50:25...in a way how locus try to get attachment from your email client...
The amazing thing is, that when I click the attachment to show it (not download) I get Locus as possibility to open it with (also: ezPDF Reader, Moon+ Reader, ZArchiver). If I click the downloaded file in the file manager, locus is not shown, no app is shown (no intent filter for gpx?). So I hoped that GPX-files would be known in locus.
I tested some other apps in Google Play to show GPX-files, but none of them are reasonable, all of them are either not developed (pre-alpha) or they crash or elsewhere buggy.
Quote from: menion on February 03, 2014, 15:50:25...And just tell, how you did it with myTracks?
After tracking there is this share-button, I press it, the just recorded track is uploaded to Google Drive and I get immediatly the possibility to enter an email address, so I can email the link to a friend, who can see the track online on google maps.
This was a really easy and nice way. Not possible to do it for locus as well?

edit
Any possibility to easily share a tracked track from locus is very welcome.
At the moment it is too difficult/complicate.:
I can save the sent (as email) attachement to the filesystem, then open it with locus and just show it.
This works.
But a way to share like click and play would be much better.
Maybe to share the track (gpx) to Google Drive?
I don't know, but it should be just so Android-easy, that would be nice.

I like to track with locus, but I want to share the details.
At the moment, I make a screenshot of the display in locus track information and send it with WhatsApp.
Could be better.
  •  

Menion

This is quite a lot of tasks to discuss. Sorry, but I'll try to make shorter response ...

Generally, handling files from other app do not depend only on a filter that has app (Locus) set, but also on a way, how application in which you clicked on file, send request into Android system. Locus of course has quite a lot of "filters" set in it's definition, but it do not garant, it will handle all possibilities. In case, file browser send incorrect request, Locus will not be offered.

About "sharing" a tracks for friends ... we plan something, but even it's important, I know, we have some other major tasks for now. So sorry, but it will take some time ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

franc

I discovered now the export to "Trainingstagebuch.org" or "RidewithGPS".
Trainingstagebuch is it. I can just by exporting click on 'Edit' and get directly to my just uploaded track, very sophisticated.
Here now after saving I can send as E-Mail the most important data and the link to the track saved online on the website, where there is a map as well.
This does the trick for me, I think, this is good enough.

Thank you.

frank

2014-02-24 some days of use I must say, this is really a good possibility, with the trainingstagebuch.org site. A very nice site, and the development is great, good pricing feature as well, can be used totally free, but possible to donate if it is great use.
  •