Proper way/setup to create valid vector maps

Started by sonstwer, January 23, 2014, 14:29:41

sonstwer

Hi there,

I use Locus since nearly the foundation of the app. I also use vector maps for a long time in Locus. I also started to create my own maps from geofabrik downloads long ago. I had a proper working setup with Osmosis and the mapsforge plugin to create those maps. Before I convert the maps I merge SRTM data created by PHYGHTMAP with the poly from geofabrik as a PBF file to the downloaded file. Then I normally convert to the map format with the mapsforge plugin which worked fine all the time. I encountered an HDD crash a couple month ago and the whole osmosis setup was lost. I do not get it back to work. The mapfile writer seems to stop working after showing the message "Completing read". According to htop both CPU cores are twiddling thumbs but some HDD work seems to be done (LED is on). I let it run for more than four hours but nothing happened. I use the following commands:

SRTM:
phyghtmap --pbf --jobs=16 --source=view3,srtm3 --no-zero-contour --line-cat=200,100 --step=10 --max-nodes-per-tile=0 --max-nodes-per-way=500 --polygon=data/[NAME].poly --output-prefix=data/[NAME]

Merging:
./osmosis --rb file=data/[NAME].map.osm.pbf --rb file=data/[NAME].srtm.osm.pbf --merge --wb file=data/[NAME].osm.pbf omitmetadata=true

Conversion:
./osmosis --rb file=data/[NAME].osm.pbf --mapfile-writer file=data/[NAME].map type=hd tag-conf-file=data/tags.xml zoom-interval-conf=10,9,11,14,12,21 map-start-zoom=10

I tried different versions of Osmosis (including a SNAPSHOT compiled from source) but it is always the same result. I attache my tag-mapping.xml if anybody thinks the bug could be in it.

My current installation:
Osmosis 0.40
mapsforge 0.3.0
  •  

Menion

I'll keep discussion to professionals, but just a short info - I just generate new version of Germany map for Locus on my, quite poweful PC, and it's displaying "INFO: Completing reading..." for around 20 hours and I expect it takes a few more.

Time needed on generating is a combination of dist speed, CPU speed and amount of data. Even on most powerful PC, generating of a huge map may take up to 10 or even more hours ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

sonstwer

That seems to be strange because before my HDD crash I created maps on my laptop bought in 2008 not taking that long.
  •  

voldapet

Your steps seem to be OK. Maybe some differences:
For generation vector maps we use: 
Osmosis 0.40.1  (please note: I read some some post that map-writer does not work properly with higher osmosis versions)
Mapwriter-plugin 0.3.1 build from sources http://code.google.com/p/mapsforge/wiki/GettingStartedDevelopers

We use also parameter  bbox=minLat,minLon,maxLat,maxLon in generation command but it wouldn't be necessary because PBF file contains bounding box info.
However as menioin wrote "completing reading" can takes couple hours - depends on size of  your mergered pbf file. In attachment is small merged pbf file which you can use for testing your osmosis/mapsforge configuration.

•