backup manager doesn't work

Started by franc, November 26, 2013, 12:53:35

franc

I noticed that the backup manager doesn't work. Should backup every day five o'clock but didn't do it for weeks.
Shows that there should be a planned backup tomorrow in one display but in the setting it says weeks ago:

Does the backup only works when locus is running?
I rarely use locus at five o'clock ;)

Locus Pro - always the actual version on Xiaomi Mi A1 mit Android 9
  •  

tommi

Quote from: franc on November 26, 2013, 12:53:35

By this occasion I noticed that the backup manager doesn't work. Should backup every day five o'clock but didn't do it for weeks.

Just checked and have to confirm no backup happened. Newest auto backup is from 9th of October.
All existing backups are named date_time_Locus_Pro.
However have to admit I mainly run the test versions due to beta features.
  •  

balloni55

QuoteJust checked and have to confirm no backup happened. Newest auto backup is from 9th of October.
the same by me.I started this backup service on 1.11. on 0:01. repeating all 3 days
The first backup was ok on 1.11., the second on 7.11. the last on 10.11.
I send my phone to bed at 10pm to 6am with "Timeriffic", flight mode, no wifi is this the problem?
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

balloni55

I do a backup on 21:30 and locus was off.
Message "prozess successfull", but there is no new backup.zip in locus backup/auto
See the screenshot all modfications at 21:30, but there is no action in backupfolder althought the time has changed ???

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

franc

I remember that locus did a backup each time I start my phone, in earlier versions, this doesn't happen anymore (which I don't miss), but locus could do a backup, when I close locus, this would be the best, I suppose.
I don't need a daily backup, when I don't use locus, which I don't do daily. I need a backup, only when I use locus, and only after I used it (when there are changes).

So maybe this backup scheduler could be changed a bit or extended (after repairing it)?

frank
  •  

Menion

I'm testing it and seems to works correctly. I'll invest more time to check it - rather

Anyway,
1) backups are in Locus/backup/auto so check this directory balloni
2) for backups is not needed internet, device just has to be "turned on"
3) if in time of backup, you device will be turned off, or Locus running, backup will be skipped!

4) about track record - I just recorded few minutes outside, then killed locus in system and after start, Locus notified that exists previous track record if you want to contineu ... same should happen to you too
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

franc

Backup:
Strange. It was still not working, no Backup created in /auto at 5.00 this morning.
Then my system doesn't allow it somehow.

Could you give a backup setting like "backup on locus exit" ?
From time to time I use locus strongly, many times a day, when I am traveling. But e.g. now I use it rarely so even if the scheduled backup worked, it would be not necessary.

Track record:
I will try again, maybe I had not enough points, when I tested.
I will track a while, kill locus and restart it again.
  •  

balloni55

Hello menion,
thanks for your answer,
i am worried :-[   yesterday evening i startet 5 backups and i always get the message "message successful" and in folder locus/backup/auto was no new backup.
Just now i tested it 3 times and always an backup was createt, i don´t understand ::)
I´ll keep an eye on it the next days.

Point 2+3, thanks for explanation, i understand
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

tommi

Backups triggered by hand work for me.
On my phone most of the time Locus Free test version is running (actually sleeping) all day and night. But then I would expect that the Pro Version does it's backup but as I wrote there is no auto backup since almost two months.
  •  

franc

Amazing! Since some days suddenly the automatic backup works!
It is set to repeat after 1 day, since 03.12.2013 at 5:00 a.m.
But I noticed that when I keep 5 backups in the settings, only the newest backup is overwritten, not the oldest backup.
The oldest should be overwritten, so that the five newest backups are present, shouldn't it?

This is the "auto" directory.
There should be the backup from 06.12.2013, which was overwritten this morning.

•  

Menion

I'm sure I tested it and it worked correctly, anyway thank you for information. I'll rather check it
  •  

franc

OK, I think I found the "rule" behind it.
I don't know if it is a bug or by design.

When I have an older backup in the auto directory, e.g. from last month:

2013-11-07_05-00-03_Locus_Pro.zip

This backup won't be overwritten despite of being the second of two backups and the number of backups to keep is 2.

If I have two backups from this morning in the directory, correctly the older one will be overwritten with a newer auto backup.
So older backups are either not recognised as locus backups or either not touched by purpose.

The strange thing behind it is, that if I have four old backups and one new and the setting is to keep 5 backups, only the new one will be overwritten.
But if the older backups shouldn't be touched by purpose, or not being recognized as backups, then locus should create just a new backup, having then six files in auto dir, etc.
Counting ALL files in the auto dir to get max keep files on one hand and not touching older backups on the other hand seems not so logical to me.

I guess the issue is in the "keep last x backups" function somewhere.

Try it.
  •  

Menion

ok, thanks for precise report. I think I found one possible place of problem. So improved. I'll test it a little, but I think it will works fine now.

And how it should works? Simple as possible - it should really keep just X newiest files in "auto" directory, nothing more, no advanced logic behind this
  •  

franc

At the moment, locus is making daily backups, but the repeat checkbox in the backup settings Is unchecked!
Locus seems to ignore this setting now, funny, because previously locus ignored the checked repeat setting and didn't backup.
  •  

Menion

and are you sure, that backups are from correct version of Locus? They has in name if they are from locus pro or free (testing version for example)
  •