Point's icon is replaced when the point is moved/copied to an another folder

Started by ta-ka, December 03, 2013, 08:28:04

ta-ka

If a point has an icon as same as point's folder icon and when the point is moved or copied to an another folder, the point's icon is forcibly replaced to the icon of the destination folder. In addition, this point's icon replacement also happens when simply folder's icon is changed.

It might be designed proper behaviour of Locus but I personally don't like this. An icon assigned to a point is one of the attribution which belongs to the point and shouldn't be changed depending on the folder's icon. If this behaviour remains in Locus, "Use folder's icon" switch should be introduced to points like that for tracks.

How do you think?  May I ask your opinion?
  •  

balloni55

Hello ta-ka
Quotethe point's icon is forcibly replaced to the icon of the destination folder
not in all cases, if i move a geocache the icon doesn´t change :D
QuoteAn icon assigned to a point is one of the attribution which belongs to the point and shouldn't be changed
I think just like you
Locus Map 4.23.1.1 Gold AFA

LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

ta-ka

Hello balloni,

QuoteAn icon assigned to a point is one of the attribution which belongs to the point and shouldn't be changed
I think just like you
Thanks for your same opinion!

Quotethe point's icon is forcibly replaced to the icon of the destination folder
not in all cases, if i move a geocache the icon doesn´t change :D
Oh, I didn't notice that. I'm not a geocacher. ;)

•  

Menion

Hello ta-ka,
  "problem" as you wrote, is really intent. If you import any points, that do not have specified icons, then these points get icon of parent folder. And this icon is not set permanently, but they share just current folder where they are. If you manually change this icon to new (different) one, then this point will keep this icon even if you move point to different folder.

So as you wrote "An icon assigned to a point is one of the attribution which belongs to the point and shouldn't be changed depending on the folder's icon" - I agree, but just in case, you manually set this icon!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

ta-ka

Hi menion,

Thanks for the reply.
Well, for points which do not have specified icon, like newly created points or imported points, I agree to share the icon with parent folder. It is natural behaviour. However even if point's icon is explicitly set by user, there are cases that the point's icon is changed by Locus. Please try following test.

(Preparation)
- Create three folders A, B, C, with different icons, Icon_A, Icon_B, Icon_C.
- Create a point in folder A. The Icon_A is assigned to the point.
- Change the point's icon to Icon_B by user. Then move the point to folder B.
(Case a)
- Change the folder B's icon to Icon_D. The point's icon changes to Icon_D by Locus.
(Case b)
- Move the point to folder C. The point's icon changed to Icon_C by Locus.

It actually happened when I was re-organizing points and folders and I was confused. This was what I wanted to report and to ask opinion.
I wrote in my previous post about an idea to introduce "Use folder's icon" switch, but I didn't meant to ask you to implement this. Sorry for my poor explanation.

•  

Menion

hmm you discover only one possibility, when this happen :)

in case you move point with any (own) icon, to folder with same! icon, locus decide, that icon in point is same as in folder and since that, point will be using icon of this folder. There is no other such case.

To be true, I now don't know why this feature work in exactly this case. On one side, you are correct, on second side, if you know this, it may be useful.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •