Android 4.4 - full-screen immersive mode

Started by fzk, November 17, 2013, 11:23:47

fzk

Is it possible to support the full-screen immersive mode on Android 4.4 (KitKat) devices?
The immersive full allows it to hide the softkeys and to use the additional space for the map.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sONcojECWXs

Cheers Klaus
  •  

Menion

I know about this new feature. I'll see what I can do, when my nexus 7 finally receive 4.4
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

prawns

I just double tap my screen and all icons are gone with nothing on the screen except for the map itself..... isn't that "immersive mode" already possible?

CaptKaos2

Agree with prawns.
Settings - Display - select Full Screen
Settings - Map - control & panels -  select top panel hiding/bottom panel hiding & set Right panel visibility to hide when inactive.

That's just as good as immersive mode on my Nexus 7 with KitKat.

Why add something extra in the programme? Less headaches for Menion
  •  

Menion

I think we talk about ability to keep top system panel (panel with icons and clock etc.) visible, but fully transparent! This is news in A4.4. If this will be work on half and hour, then why not
  •  

tommi

Quote from: menion on November 18, 2013, 06:34:11
I think we talk about ability to keep top system panel (panel with icons and clock etc.) visible, but fully transparent! This is news in A4.4. If this will be work on half and hour, then why not
AFAIK (also didn't yet receive 4.4 on my N7) the immersive mode will also make the back, home, menu on-screen keys transparent and this area available for the map. Of course this is not applicable for devices with hardware keys like Samsung Galaxy devices.
  •  

Menion

Hmm so I rather updated N7 manually

I finally understand what is possible with new API. There are two things

1) ability to hide also a software buttons on devices that has it
2) ability to make top system bar transparent, so it is visible, but map is visible below of it

to solve this:
1) seems to be weirdly complicated. I was fighting with this for a while, and for now, I'll wait till someone write more about it :), so later
2) this is currently available only for apps that are really only for A4.4 or that do not use older compatibility library. I need to wait also here a while, till google updates it's external libraries

my thoughs
1) should be useful. On second side, bottom back button is quite used, at least in my case
2) why not
  •