MyTracks track unchecked after Locus restart

Started by franc, November 15, 2013, 15:29:07

franc

Hello

I noticed that Locus unchecks a MyTracks track when I quit and restart Locus again.
All other "normal" Locus tracks are still checked, when they are checked before.
I am using MyTracks version 2.0.5
It's normal or a bug?

It's maybe not reproducible??
Is it only on my constellation?
Could someone with MyTracks installed quickly check?
Locus Pro - always the actual version on Xiaomi Mi A1 mit Android 9
  •  

Menion

Hello Franc,
  My Tracks still works in Locus? I'm little suprised :). What you wrote is not a "real bug". It's just a way how it works now anyway I agree that Locus should remember last loaded tracks also from My Tracks application. On second side, is this really usable feature? I'm more thinking about removing support for My Tracks completely, then improving and adding some extra features.

Also is this app still developed? I'm checking their web site and seems that till July 2013, there is absolutely no progress.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

franc

Oh, I see!
Thank you for still supporting MyTracks.
I am using this app, after testing a lot other tracking apps, because it is tracking reliable with the fewest battery consumption.
Would love to track with locus, but it needs double of the battery.
If you tell me a tracking app which just tracks, restart and continue the tracking after a battery change (which I just need on a long track with my SGS2) and needs the fewest battery I would be happy.
MyTracks is very slow developed but from (long) time to time there is suddenly an update, since years. Please keep at least this support. It is no big problem to re-check a track, much better than nothing :)

•  

Menion

hmm it's really so bad with battery consumption in Locus? I'll do some more precise tests - finally
  •  

tommi

Quote from: menion on November 19, 2013, 19:08:47
hmm it's really so bad with battery consumption in Locus? I'll do some more precise tests - finally
might be related to the recording profile on locus?
  •  

Menion

we will see, give me few days till I collect some precise data
  •  

franc

•  

prawns

I use 50% of my battery with a half days locus recording

Interval : 10metres
Interval :3seconds
Recording conditions : one
Max accuracy 50 metres
Record only whilst moving : ticked
Record cell ID locations : unticked

tommi

Quote from: prawns on November 20, 2013, 07:53:14
I use 50% of my battery with a half days locus recording
a half day = 12hours ?
  •  

prawns

Meant half of daylight hours sorry. Actually to nail it down more exactly - I generally start my trips at around 7am- 8am, by around 12o'clock noon Ive already used half the battery.

When im tracking, I have screen brightness on zero, wifi turned off, mobile data turned off,sync turned off and "power saving" turned on the phone to try and get a little more out of it. But I am generally taking the odd photograph as well

I made a system to keep my phone charged on longer bushwalks :D

Goes in my backpack for bushwalks. I dont really lose battery when plugged into that as it charges at the same rate my home electricity charger does (1.6amp+ charge rate which is as fast as it charges at home plugged into the wall socket)

tommi

Quote from: prawns on November 20, 2013, 20:35:41
Meant half of daylight hours sorry. Actually to nail it down more exactly - I generally start my trips at around 7am- 8am, by around 12o'clock noon Ive already used half the battery.
So, in 4-5h half of battery is eaten up.

Quote from: prawns on November 20, 2013, 20:35:41
When im tracking, I have screen brightness on zero, wifi turned off, mobile data turned off,sync turned off and "power saving" turned on the phone to try and get a little more out of it. But I am generally taking the odd photograph as well
Do you have screen on during your track recordings?
If yes, then definitely the screen takes much more juice than GPS and Locus.
  •  

Menion

so first two night test

Input conditions
- same device
- airplane mode, places in box on balcony under clear sky
- rec locus: 1m/1s/250m, my tracks: 1m/2s/200m
- start: fully charged device, restarted, only turned required app and started recording. App leaved in foreground on map screen and turned off screen

Result

LocusMy Tracks
start time20:0722:53
end time7:117:04
bat.44%55%
bat. / h5.15.5

DIfference is so small, that I think it's almost same. In battery stats in device, in first case is 95%, 5% system. In case of My Tracks, is from 80% Google Play Services (only GPS) and 16% Android OS (only CPU) ...
  •  

tommi

Quote from: menion on November 21, 2013, 07:17:33
- airplane mode, places in box on balcony under clear sky
- rec locus: 1m/1s/250m, my tracks: 1m/2s/200m
1m/1s: both conditions must be met or is one condition sufficient? Don't know how much difference this makes for the battery but in the first case I think only few points will be recorded due to stationary scenario.

The measured battery consumption of ~5%/h does also match roughly to my experiences (didn't do such performance measurements, just can estimate from regular usage where I got the impression that 5-7% is used for pure recording operation).
  •  

prawns

My screens generally intermittently on and off for photos while recording and also track checking yeah that would definatly affect my battery use

Menion

@tommi: I had set both, but it should have almost no effect. It just affect few functions that test validity of new location, nothing serious. Point here is, that if there isn't any serious problem in app, all app should consume very similar amount of energy for track record itself. If you menawhile watch a map or take a photos, it's another story, but track record with screen turned off, should really take very similar amount of energy on all devices
  •