New Locus-Maps-User Questions

Started by Acoustics4me, November 03, 2013, 22:05:09

Acoustics4me

Hi, all. :)

I have recently downloaded the Locus Maps app for Android. I am using it on a Nexus 7. Anyway, I'm trying to get my head around the basic operations. I have several questions, if you don't mind.

This weekend coming, I have a garden walk to go on. This involves driving to about 20 different locations in my district, where I'll be walking around the individual gardens. I have managed to create and save all the addresses as points. I want to navigate (using voice navigation) using all these points. I just can't figure out how to create an actual track containing all these points. All the points show on my map screen (I downloaded the map for offline use), but I can't actually get Locus to navigate me through them all, due to my total lack of understanding!.....lol.

The other question I have is about offline voice navigation. I can get Locus to voice navigate between a start point and end point (but don't know how to add waypoints [points] in between) when I'm online (I ticked the save permanently box when I did it), but when I switch my wifi off and attempt to see if it will guide me offline, it gives me an error message. What, oh, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance..

Michaela (pronounced, mick-EYE-la :) )
New Zealand
  •  

prawns

Click the navigate button, then choose one of the points you made as the destination for voice guidance. From standard you need internet access for the app to plot the route but if required you can plot your routes in advance while you have Internet access.

For complete offline navigation- change the app settings to use BRouter and download the applicable files for your area so it will work.

Then you can use navigation without requiring Internet by using brouter

druki

Hi and welcome!
You can also create navigation with multiple points in a route by this (mind button no 5 with explanations):
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:add_new_route_measure
If you store the track (route), you can use it completely offline (including the navigation announcements).
  •  

Acoustics4me

Oh, thanks, guys. Looking forward to trying those directions! Will let you know how I get on. Appreciate your time. :)

edit
OK, I finally sorted it. I didn't have to install BRouter, Druki, so that was good.

Prawn, I had visited that page before, but, to be honest, I didn't find it terribly helpful..... hence my post on this forum. However, I spent almost an hour just through trial and error figuring out how it all worked. I tested my results on a short drive this afternoon (offline), and it all worked well, so I'm chuffed.

I typed up my own little tutorial so I don't forget the steps!

Thanks again for your advice, guys. I do love a helpful community. :-)

Warm regards,

Me :-)
  •  

prawns

I think you mucked up the replies hahahah (I didnt give you a page to visit, but I did suggest Brouter)

Its interesting you can use navigation to plot a destination offline without installing Brouter (and have it route you there)

Mine refused to do this until after I installed brouter, last week while out camping with no phone signal or internet access, trying to plot a destination using "navigate to" gave me a "no internet connection" error using "mapquest"  and it refused to lay down a track or give directions or anything at all

Once I got back home and had internet I installed Brouter and the applicable files for my area, then I selected Brouter instead of mapquest, and offline "navigate to" worked for me after that, but only with Brouter none of the other options work offline?

Perhaps they changed something in the latest release (I was on a previous version last week but they have since released a update)  From what you suggest I dont need Brouter anymore (actually I just confirmed that setting a destination while offline using navigation  does NOT work without Brouter -  after turning my mobile internet off again, not sure how yours worked???? but I would love to know how I must be missing somthing)

Obviously you can use the "navigate to" command while you have internet access and have it automatically lay down a track, but your saying you can use the "navigate to" command while you have no internet access using the standard included options like mapquest etc?

I should mention Im pretty new to all this as well, so its definatly possible Ive missed somthing, am very curious as to the answer, perhaps I installed Brouter for nothing but it was my understanding its the only option that works at all offline?

I think its great we all help each other out as well :)  It makes the learning curve involved in this program so much easier :)

What happens if I try offline navigation using anything other than Brouter?
Screenshot example of trying mapquest navigation offline (brouter works tho offline)

voldapet

Hi Guys,
one short note: you need internet connection for computing navigation route via MapQusest, Cloudmate... Only BRouter can be use offline
  •  

KaHeMu

Without Brouter you only can compute navigation route with internet connection BUT you can use the computed routes offline in the field with nearly full functionality. Only recomputing the route isn't possible.

Regards
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

prawns

Thanks for clearing that up guys, thats how I thought it worked but I wasnt 100% sure being a new user myself

Acoustics4me

Prawn, yes, I totally got the name round the wrong way in my reply!... Oops.

I'm glad the others were able to help you, because I'm still on the learning curve. As stated by in a previous reply, I can't recompute the route when offline, but if I create the route at home (connected to WiFi), and then save it, I have fully-functional voice guidance directions. This really is the best nav app I've used. Now, if I can just figure out how to make the house numbers visible again.... lol. (I upgraded to the paid version and they disappeared.)
  •  

voldapet

Quote from: Acoustics4me on November 09, 2013, 09:38:47
... Now, if I can just figure out how to make the house numbers visible again.... lol. (I upgraded to the paid version and they disappeared.)
It depends ...which map do you use?
  •  

tommi

Quote from: Acoustics4me on November 09, 2013, 09:38:47
Prawn, yes, I totally got the name round the wrong way in my reply!... Oops.

I'm glad the others were able to help you, because I'm still on the learning curve. As stated by in a previous reply, I can't recompute the route when offline, but if I create the route at home (connected to WiFi), and then save it, I have fully-functional voice guidance directions. This really is the best nav app I've used. Now, if I can just figure out how to make the house numbers visible again.... lol. (I upgraded to the paid version and they disappeared.)
There's no switch in Locus to switch off house numbers.
What map do you use?
In vector maps in Locus the display of house numbers is configured in the used theme. However not in all areas this information is available in open street maps.
  •