New User Help

Started by Cheminer Will, November 02, 2013, 19:50:57

Cheminer Will

I have looked through here, reading the GSAK section in the add-on forum but there is not much info there. 

I am trying to see if there are any advantages to using Locus also but the learning curve is a bit steep.  Given that I am a premium Geocaching.com member, use GSAK and also GDAK how should I proceed with Locus.  Can someone lay out a step by step first pass at integrating Locus into my geocaching?  Or is there not that much to be gained by adding Locus Pro to my use of GSAK and GDAK?

Thanks for any guidance!
  •  

KaHeMu

Hi Will,

for Locus there is a add-on "GSAK-Datenbank für Locus" with this you don't need GDAK anymore. You can copy GSAK-DB from PC to phone and import caches to Locus.

First I used Locus in that way. But then menion improved API-import for PQs in a way, that is no need for other soft-/ hardware for me. I'm handling about 5000 caches with 7-10 PQs in 4 DBs in Locus at xperia pro.

Greetings
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

Cheminer Will

Thanks KaHeMu -  To be sure I understand.  You now just import caches from the geocaching.com website directly?  I really like GSAK and GDAK allows me to import my custom databases from GSAK so I am not sure I want to lose that functionality.  So maybe using the add-on is the best thing for me to do?
  •  

KaHeMu

Quote from: Cheminer Will on November 02, 2013, 22:03:46
Thanks KaHeMu -  To be sure I understand.  You now just import caches from the geocaching.com website directly?
Yes!
I really like GSAK and GDAK allows me to import my custom databases from GSAK so I am not sure I want to lose that functionality.  So maybe using the add-on is the best thing for me to do?
Sure, with GSAK you have more possibilities to filter or do other work with your data's. But is it really necessary?
You can check both.

Btw. think about "offlinizer" from Locus to download spoilers and images from Groundspeak.

Greetings
KaHeMu
Zufall ist, wenn das Schicksal eine Maske aufsetzt, um nicht erkannt zu werden.  (Wepper)
  •  

Cheminer Will

Quote from: KaHeMu on November 03, 2013, 00:17:09

Sure, with GSAK you have more possibilities to filter or do other work with your data's. But is it really necessary?
You can check both.

Greetings
KaHeMu

In my local GSAK database at least, (within 80 miles of home), I use GSAK to include Munzees, Waymarks, and also some personal waypoints.  So I think I will continue to do that and hopefully GSAK integration into Locus will continue.  What did you mean when you said "You can check both"?

I also found this page which looks quite helpful:  http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/community:geocaching_basics

Thanks again for your help!   I'll post again if I have any more questions or troubles.  Who knows, maybe if my Locus education goes well I even be posting someday with help for future new users!
  •  

KaHeMu

I meant you can check both kinds of use of Locus:
- import/update caches from your GSAK database
- import/update caches with API interface in Locus
  •  

Menion

just short info ... we have just uploaded five videos focused mainly on geocaching ... so maybe they should be also useful for you http://www.youtube.com/AsammSoftware
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •