Testing gmef, bni, png.tile, jpg.tile

Started by mapCoder, September 12, 2013, 19:38:40

mapCoder

So I spent the whole day trying to figure out how to get maps into Locus.

sqlite: I have a large map (4GB) which becomes impractical in the long run. so I discarded after i processed level 16 (zoom level 1).
gmef: Locus seems to have a problem with intermediate tiles not loading. I haven't seen the missing tile at 100% zooms, but say I have level 12 & 16. at level 14, I think locus has problem with loading & then resizing so it skips tiles.
.bni: It kind of reads the zoom levels, but no tiles are shown. (shows: not exists)
.png.tile: reads the zoom level but no tiles are shown. (shows: not exists)

I read somewhere that .bni & .png.tile are not supported, but that post was a while back. I got frustrated and figured I look at the assembly to see if I can find the extensions. The extensions are there, so are these supported? Am I doing something wrong?
  •  

jusc

Please can you explain what you really want? I don't understand what kind of maps you are looking for. With Locus you can use a lot of maps, online and offline. Why do you ask for such strange formats, nobody else needs? Why do you not convert your maps to the RMAP format?
A nearly 4GB map is really quick loaded. ^-^
Regards J.
  •  

mapCoder

Quote from: jusc on September 12, 2013, 20:53:06
Please can you explain what you really want? I don't understand what kind of maps you are looking for. With Locus you can use a lot of maps, online and offline. Why do you ask for such strange formats, nobody else needs? Why do you not convert your maps to the RMAP format?
A nearly 4GB map is really quick loaded. ^-^

I have tile data that i've been using with bcnav. I was looking to transfer it to Locus, but I haven't been able to do it successfully.

I haven't looked at RMAP as I read that its closed and not completely implemented in Locus.
Its not easy processing & writing 4Gb of tiles into the tablet, so I was looking to see if raw tile data is supported (.png.tile or .jpg.tile)
  •  

Menion

I'll try to think about it later, but just a quick shot ... are your tiles still working with bcnav? if so, you should see them also in Locus as a personal map
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

mapCoder

Quote from: menion on September 13, 2013, 06:31:54
I'll try to think about it later, but just a quick shot ... are your tiles still working with bcnav? if so, you should see them also in Locus as a personal map

I've given Locus, the folder under bcnav and it picked up the zoom levels, but not the tiles. It shows "not exists". I've tried changing the extensions from ".bni" to ".png.tile" & ".jpg.tile"  When it was ".png.tile", it picked up the zoom levels, but not when it was ".jpg.tile"

Just food for thought, why not have the z/x folder structure and just tar/zip up the "y" tiles in each "x" folder.

I suppose the z/x/y format is super fast (its quite native) with the only problem being millions of small tiles.

To give you an idea, on zoom level 17, I have 770 "x" folders. which hold 327,787 files.

If the tiles were tar'ed or zipped (or another index based format like gemf) into one file, we would just have 770 files. On average, each of these archives would hold about 450 tiles. (which isn't a lot). They don't need to be compressed as they are either png or jpgs. So there is no overhead of decompression.
  •  

Menion

there is no need to give locus directory of bcnav. whole system works completely automatic. if map works in bcnav, it should be visible also in locus without need to do anything. if this do not work, it's bug

about other ideas ... sorry, but I think, there is already quite a lot of formats and I don't see reason why to create any other. Much much better is to use simple SQLite database which is just one file instead of enormous number of files (as separate tiles, or more tiles into one file)
  •  

mapCoder

Quote from: menion on September 14, 2013, 14:56:26
there is no need to give locus directory of bcnav. whole system works completely automatic. if map works in bcnav, it should be visible also in locus without need to do anything. if this do not work, it's bug

about other ideas ... sorry, but I think, there is already quite a lot of formats and I don't see reason why to create any other. Much much better is to use simple SQLite database which is just one file instead of enormous number of files (as separate tiles, or more tiles into one file)

Locus did not pick up bcnav's tiles. I don't recall the folder, but I will edit with the folder path where the tiles are stored for bcnav.

I gave up on SQLite as it got super slow after about 2GB. My tile set is 4GB+.

•  

gynta

I'm using a 5GB raster map - but splitted in 10 smaller sqlitedb files - into one folder - like a single map. Fast loading - no problems.

How to split a big sqlite map -> http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/community:splitting_sqlitedb

mapCoder

Quote from: gynta on September 14, 2013, 20:08:43
I'm using a 5GB raster map - but splitted in 10 smaller sqlitedb files - into one folder - like a single map. Fast loading - no problems.

How to split a big sqlite map -> http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/community:splitting_sqlitedb

Thanks I'm gonna try a different approach. basically, gonna see the hybrid google earth tiles, which are mostly transparent png unless there is a road/building/landmark. In that case, I will get the deeper zoom levels. otherwise if its just fauna/desert terrain, will keep the higher zoom levels.

Should be able to save up on space. Don't need high resolution images of water.
  •  

Menion

sorry, I'll confused myself ...

please read my answer here https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topics/is_there_a_way_to_use_my_existing_maverick_tiles_in_locus#reply_11775970 ... I've just tested map tiles from BCNav and it's needed to add them to personal maps manually. I was almost sure, it's done automatically, but it isn't, sorry

I also discovered for my surprise, that filepath to bcnav tiles was switched from z/x/y.bni to x/y/z.bni. Sorry. In next version, it will works correctly
  •  

mapCoder

Quote from: menion on September 16, 2013, 13:36:07
sorry, I'll confused myself ...

please read my answer here https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topics/is_there_a_way_to_use_my_existing_maverick_tiles_in_locus#reply_11775970 ... I've just tested map tiles from BCNav and it's needed to add them to personal maps manually. I was almost sure, it's done automatically, but it isn't, sorry

I also discovered for my surprise, that filepath to bcnav tiles was switched from z/x/y.bni to x/y/z.bni. Sorry. In next version, it will works correctly

my tiles are z/x/y.bni They are however in jpg format and not png. bcnav used to read them natively. (i've added them as png aswell but Locus did not pick them up.)

Just for the record, I've tried .jpg, .png, .jpg.tile & .png.tile
It picks up the zoom levels, but not the actual images. I did not check for case sensitivity. All the filenames were lowercase.

Either way, I've converted all 6Gb of tile data to sqlite DBs and playing with it. having some issue with autoload. will make a new thread for it :).
  •  

Menion

as I wrote, I found bug in Locus itself, so check next test version here http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=3374.0 if you'll want to test it sooner then official version will be available on store
  •