Voice Navigation: "Let's Go!", then nothing else is said

Started by aberfoyle, August 20, 2013, 18:30:28

aberfoyle

Hi, When I choose navigate on a route, I get the prompt of  "Let's Go!", but then I get no further spoken instructions.  I am using Galaxy Tab 7 2.0, personal maps, mapquest to map route, samsung text-to-speech (not google).  I have verified it is a navigable route (it has red dots and I see the turn by turn instructions when traveling on the route).  I am using car for travel.

I can see by this forum that many people have gotten this feature working just fine.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks
  •  

Menion

hi,
  is such behaviour also happen during a ride or just home behind table?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

aberfoyle

This happens during ride.  I'll get in the car, start navigation, get the "Let's Go!", then I drive along the route, but get no voice for turn-by-turn instructions.  Also, I get no notice if I go off the route.
  •  

Menion

Sorry for a delay ...

Ok, let's solve it. Firstly, may you please write what exactly you do and also from which point to which, so I should simulate exactly what you do on your device?

Weird is that you heardfirst order and then nothing. You're using TTS, did you see it correctly set in menu > settings > global > text-to-speech? And in menu > settings > navigation > voice should be set TTS ...
  •  

aberfoyle

Hi,

I've been looking around in GetSatisfaction and I have made some progress.  

First, though, on my device I choose Settings > Global > Text-to-speech settings > TTS Engine: "Samsung TTS" (with Language = eng.  On same screen, Locus: Language en.  On same screen, Test Phrase: "Do you like Locus?" which is said out loud when I press "Test Text-to-speech" button.  So good.

Next from Settings > Navigation > Choose Voice, I have Text-to-speech highlighted.  When I press it, I hear "Text-to-speech correctly set".  Also good.

What I saw in GetSatisfaction was a discussion around the file en.tts.  I didn't see such a file in Locus on my device.  I downloaded it and put it into Locus/data/tts folder.  (there was en_sample_v1.tts already there).  After I did that, I got the correct starting message when I chose to Navigate on a route.  Either I heard "Start the car and go" or "Let's go then" depending on the way I created the route.

In the car while driving, I then heard what seemed to be the word "set" when I approached each turn.  It definitely was not turn directions and it could have been any sound really.  It sounded like "set" to me.  When I went away from the route, I got a message telling me how far away from the route I was.  It also gave me a clock direction in hours.

Three questions, does the clock direction tell me which way I should be going to get back on route?
Also, it doesn't seem I can make a route and then navigate backwards using it.  Is that true?
Finally, I have the Locus folder on both the internal memory and on the external SDHC card on my tablet.  Could that be causing the software some confusion?  It seems to be using the SDHC card.

One last idea.  Maybe I should just reinstall locus map pro.  If that is what I should do, can I save my current data or should I move it somewhere and then bring it back later?

thanks for your help.
  •  

greenup

Quote from: aberfoyle on August 21, 2013, 01:06:33
This happens during ride.  I'll get in the car, start navigation, get the "Let's Go!", then I drive along the route, but get no voice for turn-by-turn instructions.  Also, I get no notice if I go off the route.
I experience the same results.
I go to navigation, select a destination (tried various, select point, address, ...)
then it says "Let's go!",
I start moving,
sometimes it says "Then"
I watch carefully when the symbol changes from a straight arrow to a turn, or turn left/right, etc, but no voice happens.
sometimes I try recalculate, and it will say "Track was re cal culated", but otherwise silence during travel.
when I finally get to the destination, it will say "You've arrived at your destination!"

Though it is not my preference, I have enabled mobile data just in case it's trying to call google and ask it how to pronounce words. (it says my "TTS engine" is "com.google.android.tts", and my language is "eng")

Oh, look at that, opening up the text-to-speech settings just now, it has a red error message that says:

"Unexpected problem!"
"Please contact me with the description of your problem"

no error number or other indication of how IT knew there was a problem, though, or what it things the problem is.
I clicked the "check data" button, just because it was there, and the error went away, and was replaced by "ready to use".
the button changed back to the testphrase(do you like locus)/test text-to-speech  bit, (which always works when I try it).

I went out real quick to try a new navigation, see if it had suddenly gotten better, but no.  Looks like I had just had my wifi on during my last test, and it had errored out when I left the wifi zone.  can you confirm if this wants mobile data? (not that it is working for me even with it)
thanks-
greenup
  •  

carlm

Locus Pro 2.16.0
TTS engine: Google Text-to-speech, language: eng
Locus language: eng
No cellular data
[update 10/07/13] Length units: Imperial (ft/mi)

I have the same problem as aberfoyle and greenup.
The only file in Locus/data/tts is en_sample_v1.tts (2.26 kB).
In Settings->Global->Text-to-speech settings I hear "Do you like Locus?"
In the car when I start navigation I hear "Let's go."
XXX That's the only thing I ever hear during navigation.
Correction: After more thorough road testing:
At most turns I hear nothing, but at some turns I hear "then".
At the destination I hear "You've arrived at your destination".

About turns:
At one turn I was the first car at the light, at the corner, waiting to turn right. Locus showed (visually) 72 ft to the turn.
Note that the route overlayed the roads on the map perfectly, with no visible offset.
  •  

Menion

firstly, please forget on TTS directory in Locus/data. It's just for some special testing purposes and it's not needed for normal usage

Anyway I'm trying to simulate this problem, but all works for me correctly. I'm going tomorrow on small, one day "trip", so I'll test it during that precisely and let you know. Hope I'll get same problems as you all ...
  •  

carlm

Menion,

Try setting Locus length units to Imperial (ft/mi). You are probably using metric.
(I just updated my previous post w/ the length units.)

One more thing: Installation procedure
I started with Locus Free 2.13.1 installed.
I then installed Locus Pro 2.14.1 (I have since updated to 2.16.0).
I then uninstalled Locus Free.
Is there any chance that uninstalling Locus Free changed or removed something needed by Locus Pro?
  •  

Menion

ah around five issues at once, all related to ft/yd/mi units

thanks guys, I'm sure problem is fixed now and will works in next version. If you have any tts files in locus/data/tts directory, delete them otherwise it won't work correctly
  •  

gynta

Quote from: menion...If you have any tts files in locus/data/tts directory, delete them otherwise it won't work correctly
So please upload the new default file..

Menion

it's there in first post ... there was just missing "ft" in distance and incorrect " : " character also in distances
  •  

gynta