Automatic Display activation

Started by jusc, August 13, 2013, 19:32:50

Menion

Quote from: 0709 on November 10, 2014, 09:46:40
Users here possibly can confirm that to find and trying out all possible Locus variations one needs more time than exercising all variations from the 'Kama Sutra'.  Wich of both let you feel most excited in the end = matter of personal taste ;-)

;D nice
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. :(
Regards J.
  •  

Christian

Quote from: Christian on July 20, 2014, 16:19:07
Hi guys,
busy days are over and the feature request is now there:
http://help.locusmap.eu/responses/automatic-display-activation-guiding-with-display-and-sounds

Thanx to all collecting ideas in this thread especially to 0709 for test and dealing with sounds.
So feel free to support the new idea.
If there are any blurs don't hesitate to write in this thread or on the new help site.

Regards,
Christian

Yesterday i did the first road bike tour with the crowd. One of the guys used his garmin and on most junctions we were wrong.
So I tried to show the guys how Locus works and missed two junctions also due to missing the display is not activated automatically :(
Keep the finger always on the home button is very dangerous when you in peloton!

The feature request on help site has 21 votes up to now. http://help.locusmap.eu/responses/automatic-display-activation-guiding-with-display-and-sounds

@menion... Menion....MENION!!!
Please help! This is the most wanted and most useful feature in this universe.
Count on you!
Christian
  •  

Menion

This sounds really desperate ...

I have current week full, sorry, but since start of next, I'll try to find out a while to at least perfectly what is going on here :).
  •  

chbla

I talked to a lot of people lately and introduced locus to many mountainbikers and trailrunners.
What came up quite a lot of times (when I started the discussion) is that many of them could make a lot of use to audible signals of some kind. Some of them are even using TCX training files already.

I think it would be not too difficult to implement a larger subset of the .tcx format, since there is already basic support?
It contains only around 16 signs afaik and the structure is really simple.
This would be a great start. My main problem when mountainbiking is as Christian mentioned implicitly, the battery. You cannot switch on the screen all the time because it drains too quickly.
However, if you would have audible signals (very simply based on the .tcx files which every use can download or create) and a quick "flash" of the display turning on, this really dramatically improves navigation in my eyes (especially if you have longer rides, downhill, etc).

I personally would like a tool that let's me:

1. Plan tracks with brouter
2. Automatically adds turn instructions (turns greater than X degrees) to the cue sheet
3. Automatically adds coursepoints for junctions (turn left/right) to the cue sheets

Then use this track in Locus, applying a voice profile that uses only very short signals (so I don't even have to look at the display). Activates the display for a specified amount of time and let's me set at what distance it does this (50m before, etc). The benefit of using tcx is that it has been widely adopted already, there are some tools for it and there are a lot of tracks out there.

This would be the ideal navigation solution - however, it should not be confused with street navigation which in my eyes is an entirely different topic.

So far, that's my dream :) Unfortunately I cannot really do this right now (point 2. and 3. above also only work semi-automatically and not with existing tracks.
  •  

Christian

Menion has implemented this requested feature, See help desk:D
Unfortunately i'm not a beta tester of upcoming versions. So can please anybody interested keep an eye of the new beta and report about here?

Thank you,
Christian
  •  

jusc

Just arrived version 3.7.1.2, but there are no informations about this feature.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

no info? hmm. Main change:

Previous version:
Track which is imported from GPX or recorded by Locus - so track without navigation instructions with a lot of trackpoints. You enable "Guidance"  (previously just Guide). And when "Notify on next point" is enabled, Locus notify on every change of trackpoint, so almost everytime, right?

Current version:
Same track and you enable "Guidance". Locus now use generator and create waypoints on places, where should be any marginal change of track direction. Notification will be then performed only on these interesting places!
  •  

jusc

@menion,
oh, sorry, I didn't understand it correctly and must apologize. I looked for keywords of (automatic) display activation.
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

absolutely no problem. I'm sure that this change is not absolutely clear and may not even be visible, but if I correctly understand topic on help desk, this is close to what you and others needed, right? With existence of "navigation generator" in Locus, this is finally possible and I can't understand, how Locus may exists without this feature before. Notification and "turn on display" should be now finally usable in guiding mode, because only when track change direction, notification appear. And not as before, every 10 metres (in case of recorded track with trackpoint every 10 m).
  •  

Christian

not seen yet but it sounds like requested :)
Yippieeeeh!

Quote from: menionI can't understand, how Locus may exists without this feature before
Yes, me too... and i expected that this feature was already implemented  :o
  •  

Menion

fine ... and no, it wasn't. It was impossible to do it, because there were no "Navigation generator" which now thanks to You @tommi (sorry) and @0709 exists ... and works quite well I think.
  •  

Christian

After loading the Beta with new Guidance module:
First quick test was here.
Today second test with roadbike and peloton. And... automatic display activation works like a charm! .
Thanx menion for implementing this :) Today was the first trip with (nearly) fingerless usage of Locus. Absolutely great!
I missed two junction only due to small volume of beeps at the beginning. So no worries.
But "away from track"-notification doesn't work reliably. Sometimes no beeps :(
Checked and unchecked "intelligent guidance"-feature and it works as expected. And has no influence on guiding commands (keep right, turn left a.s.o). So the module is not more intelligent than me  :P
Guiding commands are hard to apprehend. Have to observe this...

First stage: passed.
Second stage: battery drain, sound and beauty culture.

battery drain:
I noticed that if the road going like a snake the display is on continously and beeps going all the time. Means instead of 30s display time (my preferred setting) and 1 or 2 beeps the display is activated for minutes and beeps sound all the time. See Screenshot 1. This is heavy battery drain beacause snaky roads or trails are my prefered ways. Can Locus recognize that successive curves are no junctions and stay quietly?
On the other hand if you are in a peloton going fast you have to know where to go in a timely manner. Coming to a junction and track is going straight ahead you have to wait until you are in right distance (100m for alert - this is quite too short with the crowd in your nack) and waiting for display and beep. Differnt settings (profiles for hiking, running, MTb, road bike) for notification in different distances depending on average speed would be nice.
If the display remains black you are wrong or you have to follow the road...  In this case i would prefer to have a activated display also regardless of battery drain (if you miss a junction or turn you have more battery drain 'cause you have to activate the display manually)

sounds:
Different sounds (for left / right / straight ahead)  would be absolutly wounderful.
And...to have the choice to let Locus activate the display automatically OR let the display blank and be guided only by sounds would be the killer feature. I guess this would be analogue with the guiding commands. So the commands must be precise.

beauty culture:
if guidance is activated the track style and the track itself disappear. Only blue line from navigation is displayed. No arrows no elevation info :(
And I found no possibility to catch and tap the track (only "navigation") to get some info from popup or call the detail page.
Tap the pseudo track ("navigation" with guiding commands) following info in diagram is displayed. See Screenshot 2.
I'm not interested in this command icon soup covering the right information  :o

•  

Menion

Hello Christian,

nice test, thanks.

"Away from track" - this notification may appear just once since you left a track and is computed on the perpendicular to the road, so maybe you have setup too big distance value for this settings?

"Intelligent guidance" - http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4506.msg35978#msg35978 :)

"Too often commands" - two solutions
- in settings > guidance > advanced settings > amount of alerts and reduce this value
- or open track, in bottom menu choose copy and "generate navigation" and make a copy. This will create and store track with generated waypoints. You may then delete unwanted instructions directly on a map or with latest beta even add new or edit existing

"Sounds" - yep, another step that awaits ...

"Beauty" :). - "icon soup" - agree that these waypoints on a chart are not always needed. Added a new option to chart settings that allows to disable this. What you also looking for - option to display original track screen - if you guidance/navigation where navigation generator generates completely new track with commands, then original track is temporary hidden
  •  

Christian

Thank you for your quick answer.
If I decrease the amount of alerts the amount of commands will also be decreased?

To have a solution without a new track for navigation would be wonderful. May be it is possible to write all commands temporarily in thr original track in db?

•