Locus Maps in Google Earth ?

Started by Testi, August 09, 2013, 13:40:59

Testi

Hello,

this might be a weird question, but I figured if anyone knew, it would be you awesome guys. I've been a long time happy Locus Pro user, and couldn't be more happy with this fantastic app. I have one issue though: as amazing as Locus is, it's restricted to running on my phone, which compared to my desktop PC is really tiny. When I plan a hike or a tour, I would prefer to plan it on Google Earth, and export it to Locus when I'm done, simply because the huge screen and the mouse make for a nicer planning experience. This itself already works fine - I export my track or route as .kml (or .kmz ? I forget), and import it in Locus.

My question is this: in Locus, I have access to fantastic maps with topographic height reliefs, even more so with the map addon. But with Google Earth, I only have the comparatively crappy Google maps. I know there is a feature to use other maps as overlays in Google Earth somehow, but I don't quite know how, or how I would find out where the Locus maps come from exactly. Any of you know if there is like a text file with links or something in Locus where I could easily copy map providers out of to use with Google Earth to plan my trips ?

For what it's worth, I'm in Europe, and the only help I could find on Google was for map data from the USGS, covering only the Americas.

Hope it's OK I asked this here.
  •  

gynta

Menion

gynta's solution is probably best. To insert extra maps from locus into Google Earth, these maps has to be formatted in KMZ GroundOverlay format. Locus itself do not support such export, but you may check mapc2mapc program, that maybe will be able to convert Locus SQLite maps (or other format you use) > KMZ.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Testi

Heh, it's weird, once your mind goes one direction, it's hard to see the forest among the trees. I didn't even consider just using any random web thing, because I was too focused on GE ;) Thanks for the tips, that's very helpful.

What I was hoping for was not to use the downloaded Locus maps, but something like this:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... work_links

Basically, you just add a tiny kml to Google Earth, and it dynamically loads overlay tiles from another map provider. But judging from that, it seems to be a feature specific to OSM, and not something I could just do for the other Locus map providers.

ps.: Upon further reading, it seems that site provides quite a few map providers, though not all the ones Locus has, so now there are even more ways to plan my trips ;)
  •