Offline POI database

Started by Menion, July 22, 2013, 22:02:41

Menion

@christian: No you're not, it's correct. All icons you see should be placed over icons directly rendered by MapsForge itself. So generaly except small shading and except fact they react on a tap, there should be no difference.

Anyway if you'll wants some improving of this feature, we should discuss about it (or better created topic/idea on help desk because of possibility for voting).
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Christian

Thank you menion.
I will play around to become more familiar with this stuff and create a thread on help desk later.
If anyone are in hurry and have a certain idea feel free to create a thread.
  •  

Christian

Ok, first question to have a basic knowledge:
How much power / processor time needs the rendering of all the poi stuff more, especially when scrolling and zooming?
You know, I am afraid about battery when in the wild and the days are long...
Menion can you please measure this? But no hurry pls.
Thanx,
Christian
  •  

Menion

very low, really. Request on points is performed in moment you stop scroll, not X times per second. Also request into database is really fast and rendering few more points isn't a real problem.

What we plan is, in case there won't be any issues, we remove all points directly from map itself, so they will be visible only thanks to this database. Together with some ability to define which points interests you, this should bring interesting options ;).
  •  

john_percy

That sounds a very good plan.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org
  •  

jirka

I have a few questions:
Can these POI DBs be downloaded separately? I already have a vector map and don't want to download it again just to get the POI.
And do these POI work with non-vector maps? E. g. Czech Smartmaps?
  •  

Menion

Hi Jiří,

there is currently no other way to download these data except vector maps in Locus store. And because they are quite connect to vector map, they won't be distributed separately.

And using with different map is possible partially. Active points on a map appear only with vector map. Anyway in Locus is separate screen for searching in this DB, so you may search and display points on a map, not matter what map is active.
  •  

balloni55

Quote from: menion on December 14, 2014, 13:21:49
there is currently no other way to download these data except vector maps in Locus store. And because they are quite connect to vector map, they won't be distributed separately.
QuoteDownload the map from the Locus Store (in the app). That will download the poi database at the same time.
I am confused :-[
I tried it with device and VM, map germany/baden-wurttemberg.osm.map is downloaded without baden-wurttemberg.osm.db

Furthermore i don´t understand
- size indication, see green marked parts
- date, i bought this map on 2.8.2014, i downloaded it today 14.12.14 and in device it is 10.6.14
- version, is only displayed at begin of downloadprocess, why not in device?

LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

1. size 207.85 is correct size for a new map
2. you are downloading previously purchased old map, that's why you see lower size in notification bar and also that's why get only a map without POI database
3. It is required to purchase and download new maps (update)
4. size 10 MB is related to special offer for Locus Pro users with ability to download all missing HGT files for downloaded area (map)
5. data you see in downloaded map is probably correct as it indicates date when map you downloaded, was generated (June)
  •  

jirka

It is working fine with the Personal map, thanks :-)

However, I still don't get what points actually get displayed. I have to either select "points around" or select some category and then press for example "'Accomodation' around" or go deeper into sub-category "Alpine hut" and then tap the map icon with "100" on it. If I'd like to see 200 points, I have to scroll down until the number 200 appears, this is quite user unfirendly. And it doesn't allow to show all Accomodation (not only around), regardless if it is Alpine hut or Motel.

I think it would be best if each country, category, sub-category and point had a checkbox next to it that would mean (when checked) that all points from that category would be displayed.
That would allow you for example to view all all Accomodation-Alpine hut (sub-category) from Austria and all Nature (category) from Austria. This is quite a typical use case I would say, when hiking, and I don't know how to achieve this in the current setup.
Basically the behavior would be very similar to the standard "Points" menu in the "Data" section where you can click the POI group icon and all POI are shonw on the map. You can even see the number of POIs  selected (for example 10/7778).

Anyways, I have been waiting for this feature in Locus for quite some time now and I really love it. Great job :-)
  •  

Christian

Jirka is right. I expected those Checkboxes because they existed in a very early version of the poi.db
So the plan and idea of menion described above is imho the right decision.  No reason to open a new thread on helpdesk.
I waited eagerly for the poi.db for a long time too and feel that is a big step ahead for Locus.
I believe in menions valuation about performance.
  •  

Menion

I'll think about possible improvements later based on such feedbacks, thanks!

Anyway just to make it clear now ... which points are visible on map is specified by theme of Vector map! So exactly these points that are drawn on vector map are also pickup from this database and displayed on a map.
  •  

balloni55

QuoteIt is required to purchase and download new maps (update)
thanks, i have read it nowhere, now it is clear ;)
LMC 3.70.0 AFA
Locus Map 4.22.2 Gold AFA
LMC User ID c8b19276f
LM4 User ID e06d572d4
  •  

Menion

Oki, perfect.

Fine, I'm closing this topic as this was related to creating of this feature during last two years. Thanks all for help. I believe you'll find usage in this feature during your trips and travels. If there will be any problems, ideas etc. related to this feature, please create (or search if exists) new topic here on forum or better on help.locusmap.eu

edit
new topic in forum -> http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=4333.0
  •