Offline POI database

Started by Menion, July 22, 2013, 22:02:41

Menion

Feature released in 3.5.0 version of Locus

We've been working on ability to use already available POI data from OSM maps in some better way than now. Currently, only work with OSM POI is that you may see small icons on vector maps ... nice, but...

I'm glad to officially introduce Offline POI database for Locus application.

Keep in mind a few things:
- system is in early beta and final public version is planned on last quarter 2014
- distribution of these database files will be in same way as vector maps, so over Locus store and as simple as possible
- installation will be also easy as vector maps. Currently you have to download and place on correct place files manually
- primarily for this BETA function you need also a open Locus FREE test version
- I want to keep whole system simple. No extra filtering, no extra features. Simple and fast database, nothing more

How to:
- download file from below list
- extract file and place it right to the same place as you vector map. If your file will have exactly same name, it will be used automatically together with vector map. So for example for austria, you should have in the end

- locus
  - mapsVector
    - europe
      - austria.osm.map
      - austria.poi.db or austria.osm.db

- firstly you need to check if database work. this may be done in:
Menu -> More  -> TESTING FEATURES -> Points of interest

There is also a question, which points include in database. Increasing number of points will slow down whole database, so it make sense, to include only interesting points/tags, not everything. So below is list of requested tags that should be by your opinions in database

missing points:
[/s]
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

druki

Cool, sounds interesting.
Please provide Germany and Swizerland.
Thanks in advance!
  •  

ta-ka

I'm interested in it.
Could you provide POI data for Japan?
Thanks in advance.
  •  

Menion

countries updated, enjoy ;)

just a small warning. Germany OSM mappers are really crazy. Whole Germany has around 1.5 million! points, so database is going to be little bit slower compare to other databases. Let me know how bad it is. Otherwise I'll not provide whole Germany at once, but just separate areas

EDIT: @gynta agree, buttons removed
  •  

svartbjorn

Very interesting! I am going to Austria next week and will download the database for that country.

I live in Norway, so would be great if you could create the database for Norway too.

Thank you very much.
 :D
Rgds,
svartbjorn
  •  

ta-ka

I've tested Japan DB and it works fine. Thank you.
I noticed two things.
- accomodation -> accommodation
- icon of grave_yard is 'info mark'?
  •  

Menion

thank you. problem with "accommodation" is directly in database file, so this will fix new generation. Grave yard will be fixed in next test version

generally ... is there something useful what you miss in this feature?
  •  

jusc

Yes we,  the Germans are crazy......  :lol:
So because of that big German poi database, I began to test with Norway. I have a Norway map, but can´t find any poi, maybe it´s an older one from OpenAndroMaps. Does the poi.db only work with a map from Locus store? Or are there in Norway so few pois?

Now (Locus store) map of Norway is downloaded too. Can please anybody show me a screenshot with a poi in Norway?
You should mention the theme you use.
Regards J.
  •  

tommi

I have german vector map on internal sd card. Due to short storage I copied the German Poi DB to the external sd card where I also have other vector maps. Locus doesn't find the POI DB in this case.
After I copied the POI DB to the folder on the internal sd card the POI DB was found.

Currently the only option I see is to show one POI from the list on the map. Would be better if I could select POIs from the list.
Ok, I guess this is due to early beta, right?
  •  

Menion

hmm yes, I currently search for DB files only in Locus/mapsVector directory. Question is whether different directory is needed. These databases will be closely tight to vector maps. Will be downloaded from store ... anyway I'll think about it ...

Select more POI's ... it's a question. When poi db has same name as vector map, then it's loaded automatically, so almost all visible points on map should be active! (clickable).
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"hmm yes, I currently search for DB files only in Locus/mapsVector directory. Question is whether different directory is needed. These databases will be closely tight to vector maps. Will be downloaded from store ... anyway I'll think about it ...
Thanks, restricted space on internal sd is a problem for many users and we already have the additional folder setting for maps...

Quote from: "menion"Select more POI's ... it's a question. When poi db has same name as vector map, then it's loaded automatically, so almost all visible points on map should be active! (clickable).
Hm, I have Germany.map and Germany.poi.db. No POI from the poi.db is visible.
What are the other conditions which must be fulfilled for the display of the POIs? Theme? Zoom level? ...?
  •  

Menion

Germany.osm.map or just .map? rename to osm.map ...

when I think about it, if you have map in external storage together with poi.db file, it should work. Points will just not be visible in list of POI databases, but probably will be automatically loaded. You may test it on added Canarian island maps ;)
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"Germany.osm.map or just .map? rename to osm.map ...
Ah, that is the trick!

Quote from: "menion"when I think about it, if you have map in external storage together with poi.db file, it should work. Points will just not be visible in list of POI databases, but probably will be automatically loaded. You may test it on added Canarian island maps ;)
Thanks for the Canaries POIs!

Now I have two POI DBs. I moved map center to Canaries and opened the POI menu and I found only POIs several 1000km away in Germany.
Ah, I see, I have to select the right POI DB at the top of the screen. This is a bit error-prone. May you think of making the POI DB matching to the current map the default?
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "tommi"POI DB matching to the current map the default?
good point - but when is the right moment for this action?

Menion

and also how often you switch these vector maps? I still see main point of this offline db, to make points on map active. Screen with list is useful only if you search for something specific, like "what's around"
  •