Hillshade Overlay Offline?

Started by eldron, June 20, 2013, 13:38:27

eldron

Hi,
I have just come across the Hike and Bike Hillshade Overlay Map and It blew my mind. The maps look so much better now, I can´t believe that it took so long to find this great option.
The only thing that i don´t understand is why I can´t download the hillshade "map". Or have i just overlooked something?
I always prefer to have everything offline for when i am abroad or in areas with bad network coverage.
Maybe someone here can help me with this?
  •  

brotbuexe

I don't know what reason menion had to not enable download when he included the overlay.
It is on the osm servers.

You could readd the overlay as a custom provider which gives the ability of downloading.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1877
  •  

Menion

I don't know now, but most probably it was on request on Hike&bike owner

suggest to check this post viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2923#p21330 ... mainly the end. Maybe current solution will be enough. I'll be also glad for some opinions
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

eldron

@Menion
Thanks for the quick reply. If i understand it correctly, enabling dev_enable_vector_maps_hillshade will use the data embedded in the map to create hillshades? And by the name of that switch i am guessing that this will only work for vector maps? Because i mainly use tile maps, as they load a lot quicker.
So I still prefer the option of being able to download the hillshade layer, which i can then overlay on any map i have got. Maybe you could check with Hike and Bike if they would agree to a downloadable version? I wouldn´t mind to pay for that option.
@Brotbuexe
Thanks for the link, i will try it when i get home.
  •  

eldron

Just a quick feedback - Using the infos from brotbuexes link i managed to download the hillshade tiles.
Whose server is that toolserver? Just wondering whom to thank for supplying the hillshade tiles...?
Oh and another question - I downloaded the hillshades for all of german in zoomlevel 12.
When i zoom in further than level 12 the hillshades obviously disappear. Is there any way of setting the overlay map to still display them by just enlarging the images, like it does on normal maps when zooming in further than the highest zoomlevel? I don´t think the loss of quality will matter so much with the hillshades.
  •  

Menion

@eldron: yes it works currently only for a vector maps. It's because it was easier to implement just for them. Anyway I have this system in very general way, so it will not be (hope) a big problem to add this also on other map types/formats. Source for shading is not in vector maps data, but in SRTM files. So if you download manually, or just "fill altitude" for any points thanks for offline data (locus will offer to download them if needed), shading then use these altitude files

Anyway I'm currently still not satisfied with this solution. Problem is there mainly that software renderer that android offer has some serious problems with more shaded triangles (that cover tile) so I'm currently not able to cover whole map with some quality shading. I'll play with it little more and hope I'll find some nice working solution :)

And who's server is it? Hmm I don't even know, it's almost two years back :). But to be true, I hope that shading in Locus will be usable, so there will be no need to contact owner of this server or download any tiles from him
  •  

zossebart

Hi,

I hope I can reuse this thread. If not, please split it into a new one.

The hillshade-rendering with offline srtm-data works very well for me. Thanks for implementing it!

Would it also be possible to implement something similar to OpenCycleMap, which has hillshading as well as "height coloring" (don't know the right word for it). I mean the tinting of the terrain depending on it's height.

For example http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=11/43.1413/-4.7403&layers=C.
The color of the tips of the mountains is almost white, while lower regions are brown/green. Would something similar be possible in locus? That would be so nice! :-)

Thanks,
zossebart 
  •  

Menion

we already have this done if you download from locus store world vector map and zoom to level 1-5, then areas will be colored by defined range of color. But I'm not sure if this is useful also for common maps.

As I think about it, much better should be some coloring by altitude change (gradient), then by altitude value itself
  •  

zossebart

Quote from: menion on November 15, 2013, 17:05:53
we already have this done if you download from locus store world vector map and zoom to level 1-5, then areas will be colored by defined range of color. But I'm not sure if this is useful also for common maps.
I tried that, but the downloaded map didn't work. There is no additional map under VectorMaps. If I try to add the map manually, I find the downloaded _world.zip, but when selecting it, there is an error popup saying "there is a problem with _world.zip"

Quote from: menion on November 15, 2013, 17:05:53
As I think about it, much better should be some coloring by altitude change (gradient), then by altitude value itself
This also sounds interesting! Do you plan to implement it?
  •  

Menion

Quote from: zossebart on November 17, 2013, 15:12:25
I tried that, but the downloaded map didn't work. There is no additional map under VectorMaps. If I try to add the map manually, I find the downloaded _world.zip, but when selecting it, there is an error popup saying "there is a problem with _world.zip"
just zoom out. World map is used automatically. More here http://www.locusmap.eu/news-in-version-2-14-0/

Quote from: zossebart on November 17, 2013, 15:12:25
This also sounds interesting! Do you plan to implement it?
no
  •  

zossebart

Ok, thanks for the reply (on a sunday!).

Zooming out shows sort of a world map, but it's not so nice looking as in the picture. But never mind, I understand that here are other priorities in the development of this great app than color gradients on hills.
  •  

Menion

hmm you see it only a green? not colorized? I saw this also on one of my devices, but I leaved. Hmm time to check it.

And about colorizing ... I'll think about it. It's not so hard to do it, but problem is, that if I set for example elevation "0" to fully green, 2000 to fully brown and since 4000 fully white, then when you zoom in during some hike, then you'll for almost all time see just one color, because change of elevation during one trip will be quite low compare to needed change to change color (not sure if what I wrote make sense in my English, hope yes)

So it needs to check how other more robust applications do this. I'm sure it will be some combination of current elevation and also gradient, maybe some shading. I'll add this to my to-do list on long winter nights :)
  •  

zossebart

Quote from: menion on November 18, 2013, 06:43:51
hmm you see it only a green? not colorized? I saw this also on one of my devices, but I leaved. Hmm time to check it.
Exactly, it's all green. How is this intended to work? Is this some special map with integrated theme? Otherwise, the coloring would be according to the currently selected theme, right?
I see the green map on my Motorola Milestone 2 (Android 2.3) as well as on an androvm (Android 4.1).

And about colorizing ... I'll think about it. It's not so hard to do it, but problem is, that if I set for example elevation "0" to fully green, 2000 to fully brown and since 4000 fully white, then when you zoom in during some hike, then you'll for almost all time see just one color, because change of elevation during one trip will be quite low compare to needed change to change color (not sure if what I wrote make sense in my English, hope yes)
Yes, it makes sense to me. That's a good point. You would see the gradient in low zoomlevels only (which should already be possible with your world map download (which doesn't work for me yet)).

So it needs to check how other more robust applications do this. I'm sure it will be some combination of current elevation and also gradient, maybe some shading. I'll add this to my to-do list on long winter nights :)
Yes, this would require a somewhat "intelligent" algorithm which adepts to the currently visible area on the screen. Thanks for considering this! But only if you are really bored during this long winter nights ;-)
  •  

Menion

Quote from: zossebart on November 18, 2013, 09:07:00
Exactly, it's all green. How is this intended to work? Is this some special map with integrated theme? Otherwise, the coloring would be according to the currently selected theme, right?
I see the green map on my Motorola Milestone 2 (Android 2.3) as well as on an androvm (Android 4.1).

please update map from locus store. Problem is in map, not in Locus itself. And color is generated from elevation file attached to world map itself
  •  

zossebart

Thanks menion! Updated the map from store and now it works!
  •