Screen lock, dimming, waking up from screentouch

Started by barbudor, June 09, 2013, 18:17:14

barbudor

Hello guys

I am facing some little issues with Locus (currently Pro 2.12.2) on my Galaxy tab 2 7.0 and may someone out there have some recipe to help me.

1) Disable lock screen (in Settings/Global) doesn't seems to work

Even when the box is checked, it can't prevent my device to lock after the set time. I am using the pattern lock screen where you have to draw a pattern with your fingers on 9 dots.
So after the max time, the screen lock and I can't any more use the Home of Switch-task button to use another software.
But as Locus is still on the front, the only solution to access the unlock screen is to quit Locus.

Of course I could totally disable the lock when I want to use Locus but in that case, I have to re-enter my pattern every time I want to re-enable the lock.
Also, I have found a unreliable workaround : when entering or leaving the Settings screen of Locus, Locus switch for 1/2 second on the unlock screen. So if I am fast enough, I can unlock my device. But sometime I have to do it 2 or 3 times to be successful.

As any one else experienced the same behavior on a GyTab 2 ?
Any idea on how I can solve this ?

2) Awake screen by touching the screen

I have mainly 2 usages of the Tab + Locus : hiking and mountain biking.

When hiking, I am using the tab into a soft waterproof bag hanging around my neck.
I generally let the screen turn off itself after 30 seconds or 1 minute (system setting) but Locus still runs in the background and so far I didn't see any issue with the track-log (no missing point) even when I have not set Locus as a service.
To wakeup the screen, I just have to press the power button which is easy through the soft bag.

For mountain biking, I just setup a waterproof box.
As for hiking, I don't need to watch the screen very often but the problem is that when I want to, I can't access any more the power button which is located on the side of the tablet (unreachable when the tablet is in the box).

As any one an idea how I could get the screen (backlight) switched off automatically after a time to save battery and waking up only by touching the screen ?

Thanks in advance for any idea.
  •  

gynta

The last discussion about this similar topic starts here:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3112#p20971

barbudor

Hi Gynta

I did see this discussion but :
- Topic does not cover the 2 points I am talking about, especially 1)
- Topic is closed at Menion has definitively removed the support for dimming and wake-lock
- Topic does not offer a solution

Thus the need to have a topic which can address it and comes to a solution.

Indeed the topic you are referring talks about Wakey.
But there is no users feedback which can tell if this is really efficient and what is the impact of such app on battery life.
Also I found another similar app "Wake lock"

Any feedback ?

Any feedback too on the "Prevent lock" issue on GyTab ?
  •  

tommi

Hi barbudor,
did you follow the thread, gynta referred to, completely?
It is also talking about https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s.screenon
Did you try?
  •  

barbudor

Hi tommi

Indeed, I did not read it carefully enough and Screen ON seems to do the job except it works only in portrait mode while my tab is installed in landscape mode on my bike. Also it just dim the backlight and doesn't switch it fully off. And you have to run it every time before Locus.

Has any one a result with Wakey premium ? Would it be able to run automatically when I start Locus ?
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "tommi"Hi barbudor,
did you follow the thread, gynta referred to, completely?
It is also talking about https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s.screenon
Did you try?

In my eyes this is not the solution , because I could not find a way to get the screen back to normal brightness. Maybe someone has a hint. But as long as the display is dimmed, how can I see it in the sun?
Regards J.
  •  

barbudor

So far, Screen ON seems to do the job when you select "Let it dim" mode.
After the system timeout, the screen dims, and you just have to touch the screen to wake it up.
No screen lock neither.
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "barbudor"Hi tommi

Indeed, I did not read it carefully enough and Screen ON seems to do the job except it works only in portrait mode while my tab is installed in landscape mode on my bike. Also it just dim the backlight and doesn't switch it fully off. And you have to run it every time before Locus.
In case I need another app when I use Locus I add it to the right panel. Though this isn't something automatic it nevertheless does a good job.
Ahm, I'm not sure as I rarely used it: Did Locus switch off the screen? I don't think so as the feature was called something with dimming.
  •  

barbudor

I don't remember well how Locus used to behave before because I did not tried to use it on bike before.
It's just now that I finished to mount my waterproof case on the bike that I am wondering how to handle this [:)]
But I bet it was just dimming, not toal off.

Trying to purchase Wakey now but doesn't seems to work [:(] Keeps on "Downloading..."
  •  

barbudor

So I purchased Wakey premium for the AutoWake feature, expecting it :
- to start automatically when I use Locus,
- applying the dim/always-on mode only if Locus is in forefront
Neither of these features are working
So not worth the 1.90€,
Better stick to Screen ON, even if it works only in Portrait.
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "barbudor"So far, Screen ON seems to do the job when you select "Let it dim" mode.
After the system timeout, the screen dims, and you just have to touch the screen to wake it up.
No screen lock neither.

Thank you that was I´ve looked for.
Regards J.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "barbudor"Hi gynta.. did see this discussion but:... Topic does not cover...
sorry for confusion, but as i wrote: "similar"  ;)

Menion

hi guys, to be true I do not want to read whole discussion :). Anyway I'm interested in this topic as well ... mainly what is so amazing on "dimmed" screen? Is it really so big battery saved? Isn't better turn off screen and then turn on when needed rather then keeping screen in some dimmed state?

Because fact that screen is on, means not just is shine a little (and consume batter on this), but also it mean that Locus know that screen is on and do much more operations that when screen is off. Mainly drawing a map.

When screen is off and you move, then locus still use your new GPS locations and use them for some operations, but worst - map rendering and handling with points - is not performed! So it's always much better to turn off screen then keep it dimmed. Btw. I have not measure it by any specialized tool, but it's my opinion from developer point of view ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

Yes, you are right, with Note 2 you have about 6-7% battery lost p. hour with display off and 10-11% with dimmed display.
But perhaps I can use pressure sensor next time with stock rom.  ;)
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

pressure sensor? ah you wrote somewhere about some pressure sensor problems, but this is another topic. Just in short - don't use it with stock rom. I have note 2, I had stock rom and it has this problem - http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... re_sensor1 - read last red box at bottom ;) (btw. now I have Omega v9.1 rom and it suffer with same problem ...)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •