What is the easiest way to create/import new offline maps?

Started by Mirarkitty, May 13, 2013, 15:17:58

Mirarkitty

I have a large (12000x12000 pixels), as of yet uncalibrated map I would like import and use in Locus.

What is the easiest way for me to do that? What tools do you recommend?

(Free ones would be preferred. If locus can cut it up and calibrate the JPEG itself, even better. My phone might just have enough memory to handle the 432MB needed for the image.)
  •  

berkley

Hi,

have you seen the "On board map calibrator"?
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... calibrator

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "Mirarkitty"What is the easiest way for me to do that?
Strange question.
How experienced are you?

QuoteWhat tools do you recommend?
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... ges_to_sql

Quote...Free ones would be preferred...
uuups sorry  8-)
but: http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/commun ... _maps2mapc
Quote In case you'll be satisfied, I suggest to buy full version by Buy button on bottom of manual page. Thanks to this, you'll get 10% discount of this product

Mirarkitty

Quote from: "berkley"Hi,

have you seen the "On board map calibrator"?
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... calibrator

Thanks, I'll try this, if you think it'll work with such a huge picture and not just crash and burn.

Quote from: "gynta"
Quote from: "Mirarkitty"What is the easiest way for me to do that?
Strange question.
How experienced are you?

Well, I've been a professional programmer for 20 years, mainly C, most of the time Linux server software and low-level libraries, last years OS-less embedded (ARM7)... I usually rank as somewhat experienced. But I haven't touched Java for over 10 years and I haven't tried Android programming (if I start, I fear I'll never stop).
I haven't used any sqlite libraries, but I wouldn't really be a stranger trying it out if you thought that'd be the easiest method.

But I'm lazy, so I'm looking for better options. ;)

I'll try maps2mapc. Thanks.

(I'm not sure which product you're referring to. I've paid for Locus Pro, of course.)
  •  

Menion

current version of On board calibrator will for sure crash with this image. I wasn't sure how much people use this feature so it's not best. Currently it need to keep whole image in memory at once to be able to calibrate it. It's not of course best, but it's a way how it works now .. so I also suggest to check mapc2mapc which should be able to create nice map directly for a locus (or any other program)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

dreamteam

Edit:
came back home and played with mapc2mapc a bit and it was working great to bring my large picture into locus!!!!

Great tutorial by the way!

Could I handle different overlayes in the map?

1 layer for the plain map picture
1 layer for the outside borders
1 layer for the topografik "hight lines"

etc

Best regards,

dreamteam

Hi menion,

I also have a very large picture file which I would like to use within locus.

Is my understanding correct that only the calibration is a problem and not to show and use the large image?

I have 2 sizes, the smaller one  with a scale 1:2500 is 12000 x 10000 pixel and 15MByte and the other one is even larger because the scale is 1:1000, but it is not 1 picture but 4 which I have to combine.

It is a "orthofoto" (including the topografic "height" lines) with the borders and I would like to use locus to mark special points on the map - for example we would like to register all of the fruit trees (apples, plums, etc) and collect the data from the trees (approx age, the condition, the type, etc)

Best regards

dreamteam

Quote from: "menion"current version of On board calibrator will for sure crash with this image. I wasn't sure how much people use this feature so it's not best. Currently it need to keep whole image in memory at once to be able to calibrate it. It's not of course best, but it's a way how it works now .. so I also suggest to check mapc2mapc which should be able to create nice map directly for a locus (or any other program)
  •