OSM Vector Maps

Started by frige, March 09, 2011, 16:00:53

frige

Great app - just found it some days ago.
What would be a great additoin for me is the possibility to use vector OSM maps.
Like in: http://downloads.cloudmade.com/
These .img files contain the vectored data and are verry small in size. These format is
widely used and can also be used by Garmin GPS devices. There is an Android app
available which is using similar converted vector data "Map Droyd"; but uses proprietary format
and does not have lots of features (no tracking...). Also not seen an updat for long time.
Not sure how difficult an renderer for vectored map data would be to impement.
Used in my Windows CE times (befor i went to Android) an app "Glopus" which was
supporting both pixel data as well as vectored data.
frige
  •  

Menion

I was worried about this request :). No, just kidding, .. it's my big dream - support vector maps. So when right time come (enough free time), I'll do this!!

Anyway, there is really nice and huge database of POI's and already prepared vector maps. All for free? I have to test ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

frige

:-)
Yes they are all free ! That was why i was active in the early time on OSM (running around like crazy to map my area..).
Incredible how many really good data are meanwhile available for free - second best example for open data besides Wikipedia.

So if you have "spare" time i would go for an widly spread format like this .img. But beeing no developer i have no feeling
how difficult this rendering would be - or if code for this is available out of the OSM community (at the end the pixel data
beeing imported in locus are online rendered as far i know wich each request).

Was fascinating to have an whol country (with all details - every footpath) in 2..300MByte.

but nevertheless:  thanks for this very nice app !
frige
  •