Uploading Geocaching logs

Started by brimms, April 24, 2013, 22:05:45

brimms

Hi,

I may be missing something but I wonder if you can help me with Locus Pro.

I have written logs for my Geocache finds today but I can't see how to upload them to geocaching.com. I do not have the Geocaching Live app on the tablet I used to write the logs.

Any help gratefully received.

TIA
  •  

mambofive

Hi,
to upload field notes to geocaching.com, go to functions -> geocaching live. Logon to gc.com. Now you can use the function "upload field notes", you will be asked wether the field notes should be uploaded as field notes or directly as logs.

Hope that helps,
 mambofive.
  •  

Menion

Hi brimms,
  I just answered very similar question over email, so I'll copy here content I wrote ...

Good day,
I'm sure there is some miss-understanding.

Groudspeak, "owner" of geocaching has own limits on usage Geocaching Live.

here are official limits for basic members:

---------------

Basic Member Restrictions
Geocaching.com Basic Members are provided access to 3 full Traditional geocache descriptions per day through the API, with restricted cache filtering options. After reaching this limit Basic Members may continue to retrieve "light" geocache data, including coordinates, geocache name, and difficulty/terrain information. Under most circumstances this is enough access to continue using the application to find Traditional geocaches. All other functionality such as logging geocaches and Trackables are unrestricted for Basic Members.

The other less official API limits are,
2,000 caches per hour
10,000 summary caches per day
6,000 detailed caches per day
30 API calls per minute (status checks, fetch logs, publish logs, fav points, etc)
Max of 30 logs per cache

---------------

these limits are applied on all applications that use Geocaching Live, so on Locus, Geocaching4Locus add-on and others. Anyway if you want just log your founds, there is no limit and all should work correctly.

So please, go in Locus into menu > functions (others) > Geocaching live and login using your geocaching username and password. Description is also here http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:geocaching_live . When your login will be successful, this mean that locus is now able to use Geocaching Live. Then you may try to log your founds directly from cache screen and it should work.

Above method is usually not needed. Locus should offer login automatically when needed anyway I wrote your about "Geocaching Live" function in Locus, because there you may see if you're correctly login or not.

Hope this description helps you a little and feel free to write me if there will be any problem

Menion
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

brimms

Quote from: "mambofive"Hi,
to upload field notes to geocaching.com, go to functions -> geocaching live. Logon to gc.com. Now you can use the function "upload field notes", you will be asked wether the field notes should be uploaded as field notes or directly as logs.

Hope that helps,
 mambofive.

Thank you for your reply. I am unable to log in to GC.com. It does not give me the option to log in, I presume because I do not have Geocaching Live on my tablet.

I get;
"Login unsucessful. Check your internet connection and login credentials and try again" There is no option to enter login details.
  •  

brimms

Quote from: "menion"Hi brimms,
  I just answered very similar question over email, so I'll copy here content I wrote ...

Good day,
I'm sure there is some miss-understanding.

Groudspeak, "owner" of geocaching has own limits on usage Geocaching Live.

here are official limits for basic members:

---------------

Basic Member Restrictions
Geocaching.com Basic Members are provided access to 3 full Traditional geocache descriptions per day through the API, with restricted cache filtering options. After reaching this limit Basic Members may continue to retrieve "light" geocache data, including coordinates, geocache name, and difficulty/terrain information. Under most circumstances this is enough access to continue using the application to find Traditional geocaches. All other functionality such as logging geocaches and Trackables are unrestricted for Basic Members.

The other less official API limits are,
2,000 caches per hour
10,000 summary caches per day
6,000 detailed caches per day
30 API calls per minute (status checks, fetch logs, publish logs, fav points, etc)
Max of 30 logs per cache

---------------

these limits are applied on all applications that use Geocaching Live, so on Locus, Geocaching4Locus add-on and others. Anyway if you want just log your founds, there is no limit and all should work correctly.

So please, go in Locus into menu > functions (others) > Geocaching live and login using your geocaching username and password. Description is also here http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:geocaching_live . When your login will be successful, this mean that locus is now able to use Geocaching Live. Then you may try to log your founds directly from cache screen and it should work.

Above method is usually not needed. Locus should offer login automatically when needed anyway I wrote your about "Geocaching Live" function in Locus, because there you may see if you're correctly login or not.

Hope this description helps you a little and feel free to write me if there will be any problem

Menion

Hi Menion,

Thank you for your reply too.

I am a premium member of geocaching.com so those basic member restrictions should not apply.

You describe going into menu > functions (others) > Geocaching live and logging in. This does not work for me. I have the Groundspeak app installed on two iphones already so I do not wish to install it on the tablet as well. Does this mean I cannot upload logs to geocaching.com?

I read your doc on knowledgebase, thank you. The problem is that I cannot log in.

How do I locate the Locus/fieldNotes.txt file? Perhaps this is the answer.

Many thanks
  •  

Menion

hmm I'm little confused

1. this app is only for Android, so iPhone has no place here ...
2. you really do not need any other application. Geocaching app is not required
3. do you have internet connection available in moment you want to login?
  •  

brimms

Hi,
Oops sorry I didn't mean to confuse you.
Forget the iPhones, it is Locus Pro in my android tablet that I am having trouble with.
I'm glad you say no other app is needed. I was confused about that.
Yes I have Internet connection when I try to log in.
Where do I enter my geocaching username and password?
Thanks.
  •  

Menion

hmm ok fine,

login should work in simple way. You tap in Locus on login and web browser (not directly Locus, but some web browser like chrome, opera or whatever you have installed in your tablet) should open web page with small form, where you insert username and password. After you confirm this, browser should automatically close and Locus should open and confirm what you set up.

May you write me which tablet you use? Also do you use any alternative web browser (different then default pre-installed one)?
  •  

brimms

It should be simple! I must be missing something.

I found a log in screen in the geocaching4locus icon in preferences. That is fine I am logged into GC there.

When you say "tap in Locus on login", is that using the Locus Pro icon? There is no login button there. If you mean the Geocaching Live button within the menu in Locus, that is not working. I get "Login unsuccessful". If not, where is the login button?

I am using a Samsung Galaxy tablet.

Thank you :-)
  •  

brimms

I've found it the solution to the problem!

Geocaching Live would not log me in because I changed the time on the tablet to British Summer Time as it was an hour behind. I changed the time back an hour and I can log in to Geocaching Live as you described.

Very odd.

That'll mess up the timestamps on everything and I will probably be late for a few things but at least the app is working now.

Thank for your help.
  •  

Menion

this is very very weird and I never heard about such problem. Anyway if this works, then fine. You may try to return your time back now, because you're already logged, so it should work.
  •