Main Menu

Lazy loading

Started by mousio, March 31, 2013, 13:01:00

mousio

I am experimenting with some tens of thousands of waypoints. I am fine with the import taking a long time, however, as the Locus application is now, I am required to split my kml/kmz into many smaller files, and import them into different waypoint folders, to be able to "quickly" (de)activate collections of waypoints (which is a good thing) on the map.
This way I can keep the startup time under 3 minutes instead of 30, but for me, to have an option to just load all active waypoints but in a lazy manner, would be way better.

With lazy loading the Locus application startup could be instantaneous, regardless of your number of waypoints. Indeed, with the lazy loading option enabled, it might influence the refresh rate when moving around, since it would then fetch the waypoints to show from its database and cache, just-in-time as you move around.
Several options are possible, e.g. fetch waypoints for "visible area" times X, or "visible area" plus a portion of the area you're headed to, or whatever is elegantly or performance-wise feasible, of course.
  •  

Menion

Hi Mousio,
  you're of course right, that lazy loading on background should be much more useful. Unfortunately for now, this current system is intent. It prevent to do some operations with data before they're loaded. Locus currently need to have fully loaded maps and needed data, before you start to do anything.

Also few thousands of points on Galaxy Ace ... hmm keep in mind that operation memory available for Locus on your device, isn't too high and that you may experience a lot of OutOfMemory problems with too much points loaded at once.

Anyway back to topic. I currently have no plans to change this loading style, but I agree that from user point of view, it will be much more useful. So when there will be any changes (during next development) in loading process, I'll keep this in mind!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tseven

Hey there menion,

First off I'd like to say how much I appreciate Locus. It is by far the most powerful, feature-rich mapping application out there.

Has there been any progress on this front? In my search for a solution I saw a few other threads discussing the limits of loaded points.

I'm a developer and understand the limits of not only hardware but the architecture of the application. Adding a seemingly "simple" feature is not always simple nor even possible without rewriting large chunks of code.

If lazy loading of points is still not feasible with the current map rendering engine, would it be possible to load the points based on distance around a point (radius).

Right now there is an option (inside a folder of points) to make the first X points of the list visible.

It appears that during the loading of the points folder, the points relative distance is already being calculated.

I see that we can sort by distance then make the first X points visible essentially loading points that are nearby. This somewhat achieves what I'm looking for, but can be a little clumsy.

As you know it can be difficult to achieve the desired result because of the unknowns. How many points are nearby? If there are a lot (thousands) of points within say 5 miles, it may not be obvious or easy to tell/count by scrolling through the sorted list.

It would be nice to be able to show all visible points within a radius of X m/km.

I know this is somewhat "splitting hairs".

Thanks
  •  

Menion

Hello,
welcome to our forum and I'm glad you like and use Locus Map app.
Quite an old topic and nothing changes here over last years. Anyway, just last week we discussed some of our top priorities on next year and get rid of whole loading dialog seems to be close to top priorities now. So there will definitely be some changes (close to lazy-loading of content after app start) during next months.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tseven

That's good to hear!

Thanks again for the excellent app!
  •  

Tapio

Somewhat related would be the (dynamic?) loading of POI alongside a routing track instead of static loading of a fixed radius. The current poi system is clumsy with its 100 by 100 loading.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •