SQLiteDB vs. MBTiles

Started by pablito, March 01, 2013, 14:05:29

pablito

Hi,
I finally managed to convert the proprietary data format of the very good topographical maps of Switzerland by swisstopo into very large GeoTiffs. Now I can choose between the classic SQLiteDB format or the more or less recently implemented MBTiles format for use on my Galaxy Note II. Are there any differences concerning performance between these two?
Thanks and kind regards
Paul Simon
  •  

Menion

Hello Pablito,
  SQLite is simple format based on Sqlite database where on single row are three coordinates and one image. And MBTiles is same. It use inverted Y axis and should have some more metainformation inside, but in general, performance if same for both. Because Locus internally work with own, little bit improved SQLite format, it mainly depend if you want to use your maps really in Locus or if you plan to use them in other apps.

I personally think, that more commonly used should be MBT format, because it's supported by larger company, etc etc. So from perspective view, there should be 0% difference, only difference is in compatibility between other apps. I'm sure you'll do it, just suggest to keep original map files. Maybe you'll find other alternatives. Suggest to check on GEMF, because it's binary based format, not database, so in general, it should be faster then all these SQLite based formats.
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

pablito

Quote from: "menion"Suggest to check on GEMF, because it's binary based format, not database, so in general, it should be faster then all these SQLite based formats.
Thanks Menion, I'll look into that GEMF format. I believe my GIS has some plugin for that too. For the moment I'll choose the MBTiles, because tomorrow I leave for a trip to the beautiful central swiss alps (ski-touring) :-)!
Btw: The 2.9.2 works flawlessly. Great work!
  •  

Menion

perfect. Enjoy vacation ;)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •