Routing -- Use last known GPS-position

Started by PeterPablo, February 24, 2013, 17:46:46

PeterPablo

Hi menion,

when calculating a route to a specific point and for the field "start" I have "GPS" selected, then the route will only be calculated as soon as locus has a GPS fix. Often I want to calculate a route while still being in my appartment or an hotel where I have a (free) data connection.

I wish that Locus would use the approximate position or may be even the last known GPS position as a starting point. Up to know I have to select the starting point from the map, which is tedious and not necessary.

Peter
  •  

Menion

Hi Peter,
  I think you may quite simply do with following steps
1. check you have disabled GPS
2. tap on bottom left center to move map on last know location (so probably cca your apartment (you may move then map a little to be more precise)
3. start navigate to
4. choose target on first popup dialog
5. then tap on "pen" next to start point and choose "Map center". This will change start source GPS to current map center
6. tap "Navigate" which will compute and start navigation between current map center and your target

or you may skip steps 1, 2 and directly in step 5, choose "Pick on map" and choose location there.

hope this helps you
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

PeterPablo

Hi menion,

I am aware of that procedure. It is not well suited for my usecase though, since usually I first do a search with Locus Pro and then click on the found POI and use the "navigate to" command. As a result the screen is of course not centered on my current (approximate) location.

Peter
  •  

Menion

hmm you still may define custom location when you tap on "navigate" button. You still may choose "Pick on map" and choose custom location (like you current) or you may define another point on map as your current location and choose this point etc etc ...
  •  

PeterPablo

I know...
The reason I asked was to further simply the handling of the program for this specific scenario.
  •  

Menion

ah so you know this well, perfect. Unfortunately what you want to do in little bit "simple way" is quite specific user case and I'm worried, that I cannot simply help
  •  

PeterPablo

I am aware of that. I just wanted to discuss it here publicly since you like to get customers feedback.
  •  

Menion

Yes, I like discussion on topic, because I think it's a benefit on both sides.

In this case I anyway suggest to use something from above or also quite useful "Add new route" function that allow also prepare and compute route between any places without need of GPS
  •