Vector maps - library improvements

Started by Menion, February 08, 2013, 11:50:59

Menion

Hi to all,
  probably all who works with Vector maps themes , know something about MapsForge project. I really really! appreciate nice job that Thilo did. Mainly from my unexperienced point of view, very nice and clean code. A lot of code.

Anyway every project and it's leadership will soon or later wants to do something more important.  (that's why I'm not a big fan of open source projects, or at least projects that do not generate any revenue to it's authors). And because
  • there are some unsolved bugs (maybe they're already solved, I wasn't checking their issue list for a long time)
  • MapsForge is created mainly as a separate library for project that will be build upon this lib
  • there is not enough active developers to fast do some improvements
I decided, to rewrote what is needed to Locus needs. Enough of waiting

I anyway need some help
1. I created list of all supported attributes - http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... eme_config . This page is in preparation, but all main modifications are already described. These modification are based on my communication (as a Locus developer) with Peter (as person responsible for Vector maps rendering and themes). Anyway if you'll miss some features, I'll gladly improve library

And btw. what has already changed?
- support for multiple working map files at once
- added some attributes for themes
- added support for SVG icons (some icons in internal themes already use them)
- except few classes, I overwrite many functions to be less memory consuming and faster
- fixed many problems with low speed at high levels, problems with switching themes

2. Understanding MapsForge license - I'll of course release modified library. I don't think that someone will want to use modified almost year old MapsForge library code, but maybe someone will find some useful parts there. Anyway what about some connection on Locus itself? Know anyone if modified library have to be fully separate project or should I use some functions from Locus without publishing Locus under same license? Quite crazy these licenses ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jurajs

like (thumbs up)

one more humble question: what about mapwriter plugin ? ;-) ...are you expcting any progress also here ? the most recent one does not work with the newest osmosis(es) :-(
  •  

Menion

I was already looking on it, mainly why generating is so slow. There is some places to improve, but to be true, for me it's much more important part in application that generator. We'll see what brings new version of mapsforge lib, that may occur in next few months (as I read somewhere) ...
  •  

jurajs

yes... you are right... the speed is awfull... the speed could be improved for sure...
  •  

Menion

yes it could. I was measuring which part took most time, and it's not in osmosis either in mapsForge. MapsForge use small library for some geo operations - JTS. This library check and create cutted objects. I mean if way is too long, this library cut unnecessary parts. And it took so much time ...
  •  

popej

Hi,

is this project still alive? Following the link form first post I have downloaded tag-mapping-locus.xml, but this file doesn't look like finished reference.

I have created a map of Poland with hiking trails, but mapsforge tools are very new to me and I have many doubts about configurations contained in tag-mapping.xml. My other attempt was to create an overlay with hiking trails, which could work with good maps from openandromaps.org, but I can't see how could I display both maps at once in Locus.
popej
  •  

Menion

Hello

to display both maps at once, please check this feature http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:map_overlays - it's kind of feature that really require rewrite (at least an UI part), but it works.

About generating a map, I'll share this topic with Peter (voldapet) who will forward you to correct place as I'm not much familiar with this process.
  •  

voldapet

@popej
You wrote that you have created the map with hiking trails. So it looks like that you've been successful  with generation, am I right?
Menion already wrote how to overlay two maps, but please note: OpenAndroMaps such as Locus vector maps from store contain the hiking trails. From my point of view is not needed to overlay map but only customize the theme for rendering vector maps. Can you give me some clue what you want to achieve, please?
  •  

popej

Thanks for your infos, I was able to run my hiking trails as an overlay.

I have created a touristic map of Poland with trails presented in proper colors. This is the way we used to see trails on Polish maps. My map is here:
http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/locus-poland-osm

While compiling a map is relatively easy, making a good map is not a trivial task. I miss many details about work of Mapsforge plugin, my tag-mapping.xml is very coarse and I haven't tried to create any own style for maps yet. That's why I would prefer to use good maps form source like openandromaps and only add missing tracks with colors.
popej
  •  

voldapet

Good job - maps looks promisive

Tag mapping file which is used for generation Locus vector maps is possible to download:
http://support.locusmap.eu/hc/en-us/articles/200242931-Vector-map-content

Locus contains customized  version of MapsForge library. For this reason there some new attributes which can be used for creation own theme for rendering.
http://support.locusmap.eu/hc/en-us/articles/200242941

Please do not hesitate to ask If you have any questions
Petr

•  

popej

Thanks, I know these resources.

Have you noticed, that file tag-mappings-locus.xml is slightly damaged? It needs a correction to work and even then I have seen some unexplained problems with missing paths. Maybe you could publish an updated version?
popej
  •  

voldapet

•