Can I import and play a route?

Started by bertus, January 31, 2013, 14:11:36

bertus

Hi,

I am a disappointed OsmAnd+ user, looking for an alternative.

I basically want to use navigation while Inline Skating and want to do the following:

I select a route from a website, maybe http://www.inlinemap.net
I want to import it into Locus, display it, while far away from the start and end point of the loaded route.
Skating along I want to be guided (ev. with voice) by Locus along the road, not missing any junction
I want to use an external gps mouse (i-blue 747a+ / Bluetooth GPS Provider)
I drive on Places, where there is no regular street, maybe on a dam, a river dyke in the Rhein valley (almost 60 km long), where there are small routes for bicycles.
I want to record routes.

Quite basic requirements, I think, but did not find an app yet that fullfilled this really. Osmand+ (paid) looked promising but fails miserably in lots of points.

Can this be done with Locus or Locus Pro ?

Regards
Bertus
  •  

gynta

use "GPS-Export" from your website (as kml OR gpx) and import into Locus is no problem.
but what means "play a route"?

help this thread a little bit:
https://getsatisfaction.com/locus/topic ... mple_track
?

bertus

gynta
With "play" I mean the ability to simulate the loaded track while at home and far away from start/destination.
When I tried this with OsmAnd+ and had a start/destination maybe in Italy, OsmAnd draw a straight line across the alps and took the shortest way to the destination.
Also if I was not precisely on the defined start point of a loaded track, Osmand was not able to handle this. There was no other way this app would help me to find the start point but to draw straight lines across the country.

Yes, the link you sent me is definitely helpful, I just overlooked it and will read in detail later. Locus looks  v e r y  promising to me.

Btw: are there any known issues using a Bluetooth GPS Provider? Many apps (also google apps) cannot handle this properly, at least on my phone.
Google Maps insists that I have to activate the internal gps while google MyTracks refuses to work at all.

Thank you

update
Well, very promising, just bought the Pro version an will try it.
Thanks again.
  •  

Menion

Hello Bertus, welcome
  thank you for purchase, hope you'll not be disappointed. Features you're looking should be possible in +- easy way. You probably already found something, but just for your info

1. import into Locus is possible (permanent or temporary), some more info on knowledge base. Display is then also possible in menu > data > tracks tab or track should be already visible if you enabled it during an import

2. be guided along track - simple click on track on map and in bottom menu choose "Guide on". Settings that affect this are in Locus settings. If you would like to be guided also by voice, you may try little bit unfriendly settings also in Guide settings. Just read "Notify when switching to another point" settings in manual

3. external GPS is possible. Exists two ways. You may use Locus internal functionality to handle BT GPS (it's best way because Locus then handle if bluetooth should be connected to device or not, based on Locus state - need GPS, display off, etc.) which is recommended method. Anyway sometimes you want to use BT GPS in more programs at once or in rare case are problems with BT GPS in Locus, so exists two known programs on Google Play that help you with this.

4. Record route - after two years of work on this system together with many people here on forum, I believe that track record in Locus is one of most tested features :) Some info is also on knowledge base

hope this answer you some questions. Feel free to ask ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"2. be guided along track - simple click on track on map and in bottom menu choose "Guide on". Settings that affect this are in Locus settings. If you would like to be guided also by voice, you may try little bit unfriendly settings also in Guide settings. Just read "Notify when switching to another point" settings in manual
Do you plan to continue work on these unique features (notify when switching to next point, when too faraway from track with text2speech) and integrate with turn by turn nav in near future?
My main idea here is: Treat notify when  switching to next point as a 2nd kind of navigation and not as a kind of guiding. Then it is possible to combine both navigations with notification when too far away from track.
  •  

bertus

@menion
I am impressed by the range of functions Locus provides -- on the paper,  I have not done the reality check yet ;-)
And also a big hand to the author of the documentation, that guy loves his job ..grin..

Reading the doc, I got the impression, that this functionality originally was designed for geocaching, finding individual points.

Basically I'd like to have the same as tommi is talking about.

Total guidance: Complete voice leading along a track.
Silent guidance: I just get informed when I missed a junction, left the track. If that occurs, Locus could guide me back on track.
Guidance on demand: I push a button and Locus tells me to go left or right.
  •