Main Menu

3D map

Started by New Daddy, December 31, 2012, 02:17:15

Menion

Sorry, we do not even have this in the road plan on the nearest years...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Andrew Heard

I tried to do a search for "3D" in https://help.locusmap.eu/ but the text must be longer than 2 characters. I wanted to see how many people have voted for this feature. I typed "3d map" but no results. I'm sure there are help desk topics on this subject but the search engine is too naive to help here.
LM4.22.0 GOLD user ID:c7d47597a
  •  

Menion

You may check most wanted topic by sorting ideas here: https://help.locusmap.eu/topics/idea/status/all/category/all/sort/popular/page/1

The first topic is currently more than "work in progress", next three are topics from Scully and his Korean friends who bend the voting system a little bit :) and then is 3D support. So one of two most wanted features ... and still > not planned.
  •  

Andrew Heard

A digression sorry, but the search system used by help.locusmap.eu is not terribly good. I understand this is not under control of Locus, but I just make the observation. It is almost impossible to find old topics, even some of my own. When I start typing "3d..." the page suddenly redirects to another, confusing in itself. Typing further "3d map" does find anything. Typing further "3d maps" doesn't even show the actual topic "3d maps by using SRTM file" at the top of the list, or at all even though an exact match.
  •  

Menion

Terrible search? We know  :(

We already at least three times reported some obvious search problems, but no serious improvement over years ...

A few months ago, we already tried to migrate whole system to Freshdesk (the different solution), but because of existing content = no so simple.

So for now, sorry you have to use it from time to time :).

Sup

Any update on this in last four years?

My friend uses Gaia maps and 3D view is the only feature I am envious about. Not that it is a dealbreaker, I can still interpret contour lines with shading, but it is cognitively heavier and so it takes longer.
  •  

Andrew Heard

@Sup - try this - export track as KML then import into Google Earth - it's fantastic. POI are correctly imported as well. I wish I'd known about this possibility years ago.
  •  

Sup

That would not help me, I use Locus mostly offline, Google Earth isn useless in such a setting. Thank you for the tip though.
  •  

Tapio

No, not at the horizon. Additionally, ASAMM is working on the IOS version, which probably is a huge task.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest
  •  

Menion

iOS does not slow down the Android version, fortunately. We are still (only) two guys on the whole Android world and own 3D maps is not in our possibilities. iOS version will use MapLibre library for maps, so there is a huge chance, it will have 3D maps quite easily (at least compared to Android).
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

Agus

Quote from: Menion on January 22, 2024, 14:23:52iOS does not slow down the Android version, fortunately. We are still (only) two guys on the whole Android world and own 3D maps is not in our possibilities. iOS version will use MapLibre library for maps, so there is a huge chance, it will have 3D maps quite easily (at least compared to Android).

Oruxmaps uses its 3D based on Mapbox. Allows you to download a part of the map for offline use. It is understood that Locus Map has other priorities than adding a 3D map
  •  

Tapio

Seeing a track in a 3D environment would for sure be great, especially useful if it was possible in track planner.
Tapiola MFV4+ theme for OAM Maps:
Discuss - Releases - DL latest - Install latest