Radar / Compass Option in Locus 2.8.2+

Started by DougPeterson, December 24, 2012, 17:07:50

DougPeterson

The radar option seems to have changed in 2.8.2 and 2.8.3.  When I selected radar on a cache in 2.8.1 it would give an option of Locus Pro or GPS Status, which I have installed on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) and tablet (Samsung Tab 2.)  Now it appears the radar option goes directly to GPS Status.  I do not seem to have an option to go to the interal Locus radar.  I looked through settings to see if there was some option now but I did not see any.  I may be missing something here.

I use a bluetooth GPS received with my phone because the internal GPS is very poor.  The problem here is that I would have to use an external program to manage the bluetooth GPS (such as Bluetooth GPS) for GPS Status.  This is then in conflict with the Locus internal bluetooth GPS management.  If I turn the Locus bluetooth GPS off Locus does not see the externally managed bluetooth GPS.  

I checked GPS Status on my tablet with Locus as the tablet has good GPS (my phone's GPS won't function indoors.)  It did work with GPS Status.  I did notice that no navigation information (e.g., distance to cache) showed up on the map.  I use navigation on maps, especially satellite maps, more than I actually use a compass or radar.

So for my phone I am pretty much stuck right now reinstalling 2.8.1.  It is too frustrating to use the poor internal GPS and I primarily use my phone (not tablet) for caching and referring to maps.

Thank you,

Doug Peterson
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "DougPeterson"The radar option seems to have changed in 2.8.2 and 2.8.3.  When I selected radar on a cache in 2.8.1 it would give an option of Locus Pro or GPS Status, which I have installed on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) and tablet (Samsung Tab 2.)  Now it appears the radar option goes directly to GPS Status.  I do not seem to have an option to go to the interal Locus radar.  I looked through settings to see if there was some option now but I did not see any.  I may be missing something here.
Hi Doug,
you are right , there was some cleanup of the UI in the area of context options for POIs. I'm no cacher but maybe for caches was a similar change: in older versions the radar option was behind the cog-wheel button. Now the Locus internal radar view is behind the Guide-to button.
Quote from: "DougPeterson"I use a bluetooth GPS received with my phone because the internal GPS is very poor.  The problem here is that I would have to use an external program to manage the bluetooth GPS (such as Bluetooth GPS) for GPS Status.  This is then in conflict with the Locus internal bluetooth GPS management.  If I turn the Locus bluetooth GPS off Locus does not see the externally managed bluetooth GPS.  

I checked GPS Status on my tablet with Locus as the tablet has good GPS (my phone's GPS won't function indoors.)  It did work with GPS Status.  I did notice that no navigation information (e.g., distance to cache) showed up on the map.  I use navigation on maps, especially satellite maps, more than I actually use a compass or radar.

So for my phone I am pretty much stuck right now reinstalling 2.8.1.  It is too frustrating to use the poor internal GPS and I primarily use my phone (not tablet) for caching and referring to maps.
Hope the Locus internal radar avoids these workarounds.

Maybe you can take this as a little xmas present.

Hth,
Thomas
  •  

DougPeterson

I see them now.  I did not use the selections in Guide To.  The selections I used for caching were all in the other one where Radar remained.  I have happily reinstalled 2.8.3.  Thank you for the help.

Doug Peterson
  •