Turning off searching for address?

Started by feeblebrox, February 28, 2011, 18:28:43

feeblebrox

There may be a simple fix that i missed, but i was wondering if its possible to turn off Locus searching for an adress on a long press on the screen? I use offline maps and have no use for it, instead i press by mistake alot and have to wait for the phone and program to realize that i have no connection. This get very annoying when i need to scroll back and forth fast and instead having to wait for this loading time.
  •  

Menion

I created faster check if internet connection is available. So in your case, dialog with "no address" will popup faster. Also when during "loading" you click on map, dialog disappear!!

Also, do you really think that this thing needs separate setting in application to disable it?
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

cseu

Hi... i don't think it deserves a special option in prefs but maybe it could be coupled to the "offline mode" option  in the preferences ? When you enable this option you know that you won't be working with data connexion so locus doesn't try to look for an address... that's just a suggestion.
  •  

Menion

Hmm it's also solution. Anyway I uploaded updated application on market with faster internet check when address is searched so please try. Also count with possibility to tap on map to dismiss small popup window immediately.
  •  

cseu

I've just tested in the new version, it crashes the app when i have no active data connexion and i hold tap somewhere on the map... if i use the "report feedback" option with system data is it enough useful for you or do i have to do something else ?
  •  

feeblebrox

I tried the new version and its a huge improvement for me with the adress searching! cseu:s idea to link the checking to "offline mode" sounds like a good idea and might be worth considering.

Thanks for incredibly fast replies and fix! Keep up the great work!
  •  

Menion

Ok, fine that actual solution helps a little.

Your second suggestion leads to complete rewrite style of Offline checkbox in map settings. This button actually works only on map tiles and you want to apply almost on all thinks? Searchin of adres when "Move to" map, downloading geocaching data (images) in listing ... and maybe more ...

I don't know, maybe? ... :)
  •  

cseu

Ok i've tried the version after the fix and it works great. The "unknow address" popup appears quite instantly on my Desire HD. For me i consider it solved, the offline checkbox was only a suggestion of course without knowing the amount of work behind, if you had to spend more than 5 minutes on this i would really not consider it an issue anymore as the popup loads in about 200ms with your new method so really no big deal at all...
Once again, nice work Menion  :!:
  •