Discussion about Locus manual (Dokuwiki)

Started by Menion, December 09, 2012, 10:32:12

Menion

I would like to discuss with you little bit a content of wiki site. As content grow, I'm getting feeling that this site is going to be little bit confusing. Mainly one major part. I'll not discuss here if site is actual etc. but rather some content, distribution of pages

Current sections

Screens - I have nothing against it. It contains list of all core screens and shorter list of smaller once. I think it's a good start point for users and may contain some screens that repeat on more places or some that aren't directly features in list of features etc...

Functions - ordered list same as in app. I like this and see no reason to change

Settings - same as with functions

Store - this is "separate" part. Locus Store itself will need huge improvements, but it depend mainly on server. So here is plan work on server (expected January - cca April 2013), then (mabye together with server) change in Locus itself and then finally change in Dokuwiki, so leave it be for now

Last two are that I worry about. There is no precise difference between Various and Community and I would like to discuss with you possibilities and some better solution. Firstly, I think there is no need to separate posts that did community and that wrote me, Hanka or Peter. Secondly there isn't clear which part contain which information.

Currently some possible categories
- How to do some specific tasks
- Customizations (modifications, icons, voices, config file)
- Maps (transformations, MOBAC, etc., deserve separate topics)
- Geocaching (also deserve separate topics)
- Common problems and solutions
- Interesting and useful links
- various

nice should be to separate it into two major categories (as are now "Various" and "Community" and in these categories do some table of content as now

discussion is welcome. Because new Locus homepage will not contain any manuals or any specific information, I really would like to have wiki site as much user friendly as possible
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

berkley

For some specific reason I think it's not too bad to follow some unwritten rules for android apps...
Can you imagine some layout similar to that?
https://play.google.com/
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

hmm don't understand how this helps. I'm not thinking about design of Locus Store but about general scheme of documentation for locus
  •  

berkley

I was thinking about the same, but probably you're right, let's have a look at the layout later...

For the start, I would merge all topics from "Community" into "Various". Problem is, that topics increase from time to time. So there has to be a clear structure. If you want to stay with that folder structure, you can try something on your desktop PC...

For every topic create an empty file just with the name of the topic. Then create folders for every category. At last, open 2 file browser windows and move every topic into the specific category.
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

eh guys (matthias) :)

I probably wrote it too long in first post :)

I wanted to say, that all is fine on wiki expect two sections, "various" and "community". What I need is idea, how to create structure of one merged category or two new categories ...

like for example, instead of "various" and "community", something like

How to (first new category in main menu - focused on "tutorials")
  - how to do geoaching
    - 1. topic about geocaching
    - 2. topic about geocaching
  - how to use navigation
    - 1. topic ...
    - 2. topic ...
  - how to create/convert/modify maps
    - 1. topic ...
    - 2. topic ...
  - how to something others
    - 1. topic ...
    - 2. topic ...

Various topics (second new category in main menu)
  - customization
    - 1. voices
    - 2. icons
  - common problems and solutions
    - 1. topic ...
    - 2. topic ...
  - interesting and useful links
    - 1. wms ...
    - 2. topic ...

so I thought about something like this ...
  •  

voldapet

Agree with Menion
- Add new category  "How to" (I have problem and I want to solve it. I don't want to read five pages about screen and functions)
- "How to" will be first category on home docs page[/list]
- Rearranging "Community" and "Various" to the one category "Various".
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "voldapet"Agree with Menion
- Add new category  "How to" (I have problem and I want to solve it. I don't want to read five pages about screen and functions)
- "How to" will be first category on home docs page
- Rearranging "Community" and "Various" to the one category "Various".

Agree - but a "how to" also has to be divided into sections...

To find a function or an setting - the current system is ok

About "Community" and "Various": few weeks ago i talk with Menion - but he have his own idea...

I think we have not a big problem with current dbase.
First we should write all the missing pages...
You should always adapt the documentation to the latest version before it is published.

berkley

Does somebody wants to go trough all the topics from "Questions & Answers", find out some troubles that have been solved and create a "F.A.Q." topic with this content on the wiki???

:D
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

Menion

don't worry about it :) We have quite clear imagination about which questions need to have it's FAQ topic. Mainly because much more topics is solved by emails. So I'll for sure prepare some table of content for "How to" part during a holidays

And btw. nice article about OSM mapping. Seems you really like it ;)
  •  

berkley

Quote from: "menion"And btw. nice article about OSM mapping. Seems you really like it ;)

Thanks, feel free to use it for improving the relationship with OSM...  :mrgreen:
Search before posting!!!
OnePlus X
  •  

tommi

Menion,
I have registered for mail on update of the wiki pages.
From a mail almost everyday I see that there is really good progress in this area and more and more pages are getting updated.
But  since some time the sender address for this mail is missing and so these mails always go into spam folder.
Could you change that?

Thanks,
Thomas
  •  

Menion

hi Toomi, so you now suffer from enormous number of emails, enjoy it ;)

I have checked settings on dokuwiki and seems there is possible to set email address that will be in "send from", so check it next time ...
  •  

tommi

thank you for the fix, now I receive the mails again.
  •  

gynta

About "How to"
Should this be created similar as an "FAQ" ?
In this case we need to have much more "noob" topics.

current situation is:
"Hey guy, you have some questions?:
hm maybe you find some answeres here on docs.locusmap.eu or here on getsatisfaction.com or here on forum.locusmap.eu or here on facebook.com or per mail mailto:locus@asamm.com">locus@asamm.com - have fun!"

gynta

Dear Premium stuff  :)

After few month - in the end some "How to" topics are done. (not puplic yet):
Thanks for beginning!

#I don't know if it's a good idea to squeeze into rigid categorys.
For a new user its not possible to search/find a problem(answer) inside twenty categorys.
because he is new! and has no idea where he should search for.
wiki has an good "serch function" - this can do the job for a new user well but this would require a better input mask

#and last but not least - let us also discuss about missing FAQs
If we look inside getsatisfaction.com and the forum, we will find lot of questions/answeres.
So please help zdrazil and let him know what is missing.

nice weekend