New vector maps for Locus - feedback

Started by voldapet, December 08, 2012, 16:32:32

karlchick

Quote from: Tapio on December 12, 2023, 18:31:57Reasonable suggestions. I just recently decided not to include residential streets into ZL12, but am still a bit undecided. Tertiary (and bigger) I agree. I start tertiary also in 11.

I saw your change to not show residential at z12 and liked it, I'm trying it out in my theme too, but did it slightly differently, at z12 I'm drawing the residential roads below the landuse=residential. This way any residential roads that exit a town/village and join another highway or on areas with no landuse set they are still visible/connected. Also I have an option to not fill landuse=residential and the the residential roads are still there. At z13 upwards I still draw them over the filled areas.
User id: 62b600722
Author of the OS Map Theme:
DiscussDownload
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: Tapio

voldapet

@karlchick
place=locality from z15 - changed
buildings - which buildings are important?
landuse=retail - does it have any effect for zl=10?  I mean - these areas are often quite small and the user cannot recognize them in zl=10
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: karlchick

karlchick

@

Quote from: voldapet on December 13, 2023, 12:22:32@karlchick
... which buildings are important?
landuse=retail - does it have any effect for zl=10?  I mean - these areas are often quite small and the user cannot recognize them in zl=10

In my theme, important buildings are: cathedral, hospital, kindergarten, school, college, university, library, and townhall. 

But I would propose just subtracting one from each building's current zoom-appear values, this would then align with OAM maps.

Yes, you're right about landuse=retail at Z10, but having it visible a bit earlier like z12 or z13 would be sufficient. I just noticed that OAM have it set the same as residential and that's already at z10.

Attached is a comparison of LoMap vs OAM showing how the lack of buildings and retail areas make areas of a town centre start to feel empty in the LoMap map.
DiscussDownload
  •  

voldapet

@karlchick
- building will be from ZL 14 and the importatnt ones from ZL13
- landuse=retail from ZL 13
  •  
    The following users thanked this post: karlchick

karlchick

@voldapet, a few of us themers were asked recently by Andrew Heard if we could display amenity=bicycle_park, i.e. somewhere to park/lock up you bicycle.

Currently this is not included in the LoMap tagmapping. Would it be possible to include it?
DiscussDownload

voldapet

Well, amenity=bicycle_park is included in the online/offline POI, but I understand and added it to the tag-mapping file.

john_percy

Bike parking is currently in the POIs for both Lomaps and OAM, which seems quite reasonable to me.
Voluntary and Velocity themes - https://voluntary.nichesite.org