Auto backup settings not possible

Started by zsero, December 04, 2012, 17:12:01

zsero

I'm trying to change the auto backup settings. I tried to look everywhere, I've even googled it: (http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:backup_manager) but to my biggest surprise, the feature mentioned on that page just doesn't exists. There is no frequency, no set button, no anything. It's just a read-only mode for the auto-backup part in backup manager. Is this on purpose?

I've tried looking in settings (where I think it should be), but there is nothing there. I think the best thing would be one more link at the backup part saying "automatic backup settings", or something similar. And in my opinion, the read-only auto-backup part could be removed totally from backup manager.
  •  

berkley

Backup Manager is only available in Locus Pro.
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:pro_vs_free

If you have Locus Pro, please check, if you enabled the module "Backup tools".
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... ns_modules
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

zsero

Berkley, I'm using Locus Pro since years. Sorry, but your answer makes no sense. I'm clearly talking about the _automatic_ backup settings editor not visible in backup manager. Of course I'm in backup manager.
  •  

tommi

I clearly see the settings for the automatic backup at the lower end of the backup manager screen.
Did you configure this feature earlier?
Maybe you need to scroll down a bit?
  •  

zsero

Of course I see it, but I cannot edit it.

This is what the website says:
Quote4. Automatic backup

part is special feature for periodic backups. By default, everyday backup of Tracks item is enabled (as most vulnerable part of Locus system). Automatic backup is performed during first Locus start that day and all backups are stored into ./Locus/backup/auto directory.

For enable Automatic backup feature, choose items you want backup in Items part, choose days frequency (1 mean everyday, 2 every second day since today, ...) and press Set.
For disable Automatic backup feature, simply press Cancel button.

These things are not possible for me. No Set button, no frequency, etc.
  •  

gynta

do you see a "cancel" button? -> means "cancel autobackup".
press this button and a "set"-button appears.

Menion

currently I think you have to tap on "cancel" to end current auto-backup ...

anyway I suggest to wait with next discussion to next Locus version, where will be completely new auto-backup system
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

zsero

Quote from: "menion"currently I think you have to tap on "cancel" to end current auto-backup ...

anyway I suggest to wait with next discussion to next Locus version, where will be completely new auto-backup system

Ahhh! Wow! This is something I would have never ever clicked... So to change something you have to click cancel :-) And then go up the screen, make a selection, go down the screen and click set! I'm feeling upside-down :-)

Joking only, I'm glad to hear it's gonna be replaced!
  •  

zsero

The new update is nice!

Three points:
1. I don't know where to switch off system wide notifications for the auto backups. Is it possible? I really don't want a system wide notification just to know that a backup was successful.

2. I think there is really no need for a backup manager in the function menu. I think it doesn't belong there. The buttons are there in settings. Actually, the only one button what really should be in the menu is the "auto backup" and that one is missing from the menu.

3. I still think that a very simple settings for the auto-backup would be much nicer than this dialog. And it should be in the settings, where it belongs.

Like this:
X backup manager // doesn't exists.

Settings / Misc:
Backup:
Save preferences ...
Load preferences ...
Auto backup check/uncheck
if unchecked then these are grayed out:
   frequency
   number of backups to keep
   what to backup ( where did it go since the update? or is it efficient enough to make it always work on everything now? )
reset everything [big red warning sign!]
  •  

tramp20

+1
Sony Xperia Z1c     Android 11 LOS 18.1
Sony Xperia 5 ii      Android 12
Samsung S23 Ultra Android 14

User ID acc406201
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "zsero"1. switch off notifications
coming soon...

Quote from: "zsero"2. I think there is really no need... in function menu
agree - no need - but it's not so bad...

Quote from: "zsero"3. I still think that a very simple settings for the auto-backup would be much nicer than this dialog.
it's already simple... ;)

zsero

Nice update!
I like that the reset stayed in the settings and that the backup manager now has a whole window.
I like that there is separate "backup preferences" and "complete backup" clean and nice.
I'd recommend renaming "backup" to "backup data" and "restore" to "restore data", to be in sync with backup/restore preferences above.
For automatic backup, I'd still recommend an "enabled" button on the next screen. The problem with the set/cancel now is that you cannot check or even edit the state, without first cancelling it. Actually, for a single item, there is no point to set/cancel something, an enabled checkbox is always better.
+ tiny bug, the description on the module manager hasn't been updated.
+ big bug: you cannot click set backup (invalid date) unless you manually advance the day +1. should start with +1 day by default.

OK, to be honest, all of these are just tiny annoyances, but I prefer to report them, since that's the way Locus gets better and better.
  •  

Menion

zsero, thank you for precise feedback. Really apreciate it. I'll check all you wrote and improve current system little bit. It is of course correct that setting +1 day in these cases is really stupid :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •