[solved] Dual XGPS-150 Bluetooth GPS, Problems

Started by Bob Denny, November 24, 2012, 02:15:46

Bob Denny

The Dual XGPS-150 Bluetooth GPS works with Locus Pro, and without needing a "helper app" as Dual's instructions for Android says. However, when running with this external GPS, there is no accuracy circle, no "line to GPS" and no "course bearing line". These features are very useful for my application, and the external GPS is preferable because I am running Locus Pro on a tablet in an aircraft cockpit. The Dual can be put on the glare shield above the instrument panel and always gives excellent position with many satellites.

edit:
Reposting this in case it slipped by without seeing it :-)
  •  

gynta

...because i miss a question. :)

Menion

fact that these items aren't visible on map, have to be because of some missing data in your GPS receiver. To be precise in data this receiver send to Locus or any problem in Locus of course :)

Anyway, please enable in Locus GPS settings, recording of NMEA messages. Use you BT device in the field together with Locus. Then in data/nmea folder should be stored NMEA file with recorded raw data from BT GPS. Send me it and I'll check it
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

Bob Denny

OK I have run the test. Looking closer, Locus does not get GPS fix info! That would explain it, right?  :lol: I have attached both the NMEA trace as well as a screen shot during the test showing that satellite info is being received and displayed on Locus' GPS map. It just does not seem to beable to get fix info out of the NMEA info. By the way, the Dual XGPS-150 is an excellent BT GPS unit and this one definitely works, as I have been using it with the iPad. I know it has a special mode for iPad, and I did not have that mode selected on its switch.
  •  

Menion

thanks, NMEA log usually helps, same here ...

it contain

$GPVTG,118.5,T,,M,000.0,N,000.0,K,A*00
$GPPWR,0271,0,1,1,0
$GPGGA,230027.471,3329.6925,N,11141.1382,W,1,09,1.2,464.8,M,-27.2,M,,0000*69

from my knowledge, all lines starts with '$' character and ends with *XX where XX is control checksum for this line. Second line as you may see, contain for me unknown tag with incorrect ending (no *XX). Locus in this case consider that line is separated into two lines and then merged second and third row. Third row contain core information and after this operation, it was useless.

Anyway, problem should be now fixed, so check it in next version
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"Anyway, problem should be now fixed, so check it in next version
And what is the fix like?
Will Locus ignore the incomplete 2nd line, treat it as complete, or ...?
  •  

Menion

yes, if there will be line that do not have valid checksum, I'll ignore it. Even if now, I have no idea what information grab from this second line, so result is same
  •  

Bob Denny

I'm guessing it relates to the power remaining in the battery. But it's illegal NMEA without  the ending *XX. I tried to find docs on the NMEA for the device, the Dual XGPS150 Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver, but I cannot seem to find it. I think your strategy of ignoring it is a good one!!
  •  

Bob Denny

Fixed!! Thank you. The XGPS-150 works fine as an external BT sensor now.
  •  

Menion

perfect, thanks for confirmation!
  •