Main Menu

Backup to cloud

Started by SanderNijdam, November 22, 2012, 15:58:50

SanderNijdam

After dealing with a corrupted Micro-SD-card and almost losing a lot of valuable (at least for me) recorded tracks, I have one request:
The ability to make automatic backups to one or more of the major cloud services like Google Drive and Dropbox. This will also protect your valuable data when your phone gets stolen or is lost.
I think all the major cloud-providers have an Android-sdk or API so including them should not be so difficult.

By the way, I managed to recover my tracks from the SD-card by making an image of the drive, extracting all NMEA-sentences (no files could be found, so I had Matlab search through the whole 16GB of data) and from that reconstructing gpx-files which could be imported into Locus again. But, a backup on Dropbox would have saved me this task.
  •  

berkley

Hi,

I don't know if Menion is working on this task, he always wants perfect solutions with options to improve them later. ;)
In the meanwhile, I've got some other workaround for you...

(1) Set the backupmanager like in this picture:

(2) Install Real Sync. The free version is limited to 15 files per sync job, which is enough for this purpose.
//https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.designoid.therealsync

(3) Set up a new sync job, that just uploads the files from the directory "/Locus/backup/auto/" to your dropbox, should look something like this:

Now, you've created your very own backup system!
Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

SanderNijdam

Thanks, this works nicely. Although integration would of course be preferable.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Well, in Locus you can do an export and choose share which gives you the option to sent to Google Drive. It is not automatic but it works offcourse.

Re-edit: it is close to automatic:

1. Under Settings/Miscellenous you set at the very bottom of the sceen "Export recorded tracks" the automatic export to SD for a recorded track. Than your track is already internal and external.

2. In a manual export you can tick "share" and have that remember your destination like Google Drive

3. If Menion couples these actions with a choice for "Always share" we are done. A choice because when in another country I would not want to export over 3G.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •