Custom polygon overlay

Started by janeks, November 19, 2012, 18:19:48

janeks

Hi,

I am looking for some way to display on a map my custom polygons as overlays.
I need base map and some polygons over them.
In best case it would be nice if I can see some identify information on these polygons some way.

Is it possible and what would be the right way to do that?

brgds
Janeks
  •  

berkley

Hi,

create your polygons in Google Earth on desktop PC, put your information in it, export them as kml or kmz file and put these files in the Locus directory called "mapItems". You now can use them as overlay from the data screen.

cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

gynta

You can create (not movable) polygons (and can fill them) with this option:
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... te_measure

janeks

Thank you for answers.

Now I got polygons into the Locus.

So here follows the next questions:

Labels:
Is it possible to get static labels for the same polygons from KML?
Does the Locus works with KLM(XML) format specifications and I could rely on them?

Search:
Can I search within my KML by some text string in attributes?

brgds
Janeks
  •  

Menion

labels:
static labels aren't supported. Is such feature in KML files?

unfortunately KLM (btw. what is it? cannot find any info) is for sure not supported.

search:
no, not yet
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

janeks

Sorry not KLM - it was a mistake. The right one is KML  :roll:

Static labels - I saw same demo on internet:
http://tech.reumer.net/Google-Maps/Demo ... rkers.html

The one thing that it a bit confusing the users is that even if the KML element is polygon - it is treated like track.
I.e. when you like to get the info on polygon you should go througt a point of polygon - not just putting the cursor over polygon.

Are there other vector data formats supported in Locus, that could be used as user data overlays (if theyr behaviour in Locus is other)?

Probably I should use the KML tags for polygon in some different way - so that it will not be interpreted like a track/route?

brgds
Janeks
  •  

Menion

here is list of supported tags in Locus for now http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual:import_dialog

anyway I'm still gladly work on improvements of KML support, so if you give me some sample file with elements that locus now do not support, I'll try to do something with it.

about vector map formats ... if you want interact with your items a little bit, I really suggest to use KML files, as quite well supported format in Locus.

ah and last thing .. about touching a polygon. It's correct. Reason for this is, that it's much faster on mobile device. I simply check just polygon points for touching, not a whole area. Anyway I did this quite a long time ago. Device power had changed some maybe it's time to change this also :)
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •