Locus draining my battery

Started by UKlocusfan, November 04, 2012, 10:34:48

Henk van der Spek

I will schedule another outdoor test but I can confirm that Locus with GPS off does not really consume anything.
Last evening and night I had (for close to 12 hours) Locus on with GPS disabled but synching of email, twitter and news on and I used 20% of my battery. Which is normal for me.
Locus did not even show up in the batt stats. Cpuspy tells me 15% deep sleep and 77% on lowest is 300 mHz.
Motorola G82 5G 6/128 Android 13 and Motorola Moto G73 5G 8/256 Android 13
  •  

berkley

Hey Guys,

For finding out more detailed info about your battery draining, please have a look at "Better Battery Stats".
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... tterystats
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1179809

And unfortunatly CatLog needs ROOT access on Android 4.1 and above... read more here:
http://nolanlawson.com/2012/09/02/catlo ... en-source/

Cheers, berkley
Search before posting!!!
XDA Orbit, HTC Touch HD, SGS1, SGS2, Nexus S, S4 Active, OnePlus One, Innos D6000
OnePlus X
  •  

Henk van der Spek

This one can be closed.
I will keep an eye on it, but in the mean time I am on 2.7.3 and Android 2.2

Not possible to reproduce my earlier findings on 2.7.2 and Eclair 2.1

Yesterday a two hour recording took 10% of my battery, which is good.
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "Henk van der Spek"This one can be closed.
I will keep an eye on it, but in the mean time I am on 2.7.3 and Android 2.2
It was not only you who reported a problem here.

To be honest, currently I can't reproduce the problem on my phone, too.
But on the other hand I have no indication why the problem should be gone.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Sorry Tommi62, I am not the TS and I used the wrong phrases. And I will for sure keep an eye on this topic and on my battery stats in my new setting.
  •  

Menion

I hope that not only you too will "keep eye on ..." :). If there is such problem, it's quite serious and have to be solved. Any suspicion is welcome!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

UKlocusfan

After a few weeks of testing I can confirm the following...

I used Locus for 4 hours yesterday without map rotation, without hardly any guiding and with the screen not on very often and it still used alot of battery.  I had airplain mode turned on, screen brightness less than 40% and everything else was off and after logging using an extended battery for just under 4 hours I was down to 19% from a full battery.

I can honestly say I have used many Locus releases in the past but do think this one is heavy on the battery for some reason - especially since I have everything turned off and set everything up to preserve as much battery as possible.  :(
  •  

druki

By reading the posts (especially the one of Henk where he writes about 5% left), I remember that I had some strange "powerdraining" a few weeks ago when I used one other of my three batteries: the batterymeter went down in a short time and remained on 5% for a few hours! The overall time seemed to be ok, but the battery draining curve seemd weired. Now with my "standard" battery the curve is ok again. Could have something to do with Androids batterystats (maybe even with different batteries or batterypacks).
If someone with the draining issue could run Locus furthermore till 0%, maybe a new idea of whats happening could be achieved?
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Just did that today.
Phone died after 13 hours. The last 10% lasted longer than I am used to (could be a Android 2.2 thing; I updated a week ago).
Can't show the usage stats anymore since I had to hook it up. Locus took about 70% of the usage.
Screen on: 4 hours
Locus on: about 12 hours; GPS on 2 hours; active guiding 50 minutes. After the guiding at home I switched GPS off but I did not switch off Locus. Locus (or the system) asks: Locus has not been used for 45 minutes, do you want to switch it off, which I did not.

Sleeping Locus definitely has zero % in cpu-usage.

Now I probably have to do the same tomorrow  :ugeek: but then also switch Locus off after the guiding.
  •  

Henk van der Spek

Ok, I did the same on tuesday:
1 hour Locus without GPS; doing settings etc
1 hour active guiding
Total time screen on: 5 hours
After 15 hours phonetime I had 15% battery left; Locus being in the stats for 50% consumption.

On wednesday (babysitting) no Locus.
Screen time 4 1/2 hours
After 16 1/2 hours I had 30% battery left.

I will leave it at this till december for a couple of planned full day hikes with Locus guiding me for more than 8 hours a day. But I think that will be no problem. I regard my first findings with 2.7.3 as incidents. All looks normal now.
  •