GpsTrace

Started by ville_sml, October 27, 2012, 21:16:16

Gorkde

Hello,
I did try this Addon with my friend. I got an Galaxy S4, he an Desire Hd. I got the full Locus he the trial one.
Neither of the units is sending any SMS at all.
I did set up the Locus SMS receiver with each others number and activated it.
I did try to auto send and also manually pull.
What are we doing wrong?
Also I Do not really understand all options. There is a time to set up for auto pulling and there is (in the settings) another time Intervall as well as GPS distance. How do all of these work together?
And what are the SMS receiver besides Locus for?
From what I understand you can send from Locus to Locus as well.
Anyway while sending the App could never know if the SMS receiver is a GPS or mobile phone, therefore it should at least send ANY SMS, which it doesn't do!
  •  

ville_sml

Manual is needed, I grant you that.

If you want to send location from Locus to Locus Here what you need to do:

Open settings -> providers
Press [MENU] -> New

(1. Device that sends SMS: )
-Select MPTP sms emultor (Emulates gps transmitter)
-Name the provider (any will do)
-set the phone number of the other device
-[MENU]->Save

(2. Device that receives SMS: )
-Select MPTP SMS
- Set type (icon of the point displayed)
-leave periodic support unchecked (emulator does not support)
-[MENU]->Save

Goto Main screen

Set enabled on both phones.
Pressing Pull on device 2. will send LOC? sms to device 1.
Device 1 responds with location data sms.

I discovered last week that the the locus SMS receiver is suffering unicode syndrom. It will not probably parse the sms sent from locus directly, as the format was "N DD°MM.MM' | E DD°MM.MM'". Problem is the degree symbol support varies between different devices. Next version will be better.

MPTP is Benefon Mobile Phone Telematics Protocol, quite well supported.

edit
I'm writing (slowly) a new version.
Suggestions and beta testers are welcome.

•  

Gorkde

Yes, a manual is really needed

1) So if I understand correctly normally I would use Locus SMS Receiver but can't at the moment since it has a bug?

1a) I assume there must be another bug besides the parsing one you discovered since mine did not even try to send any SMS.

2) Is the setup you suggest working both ways? So if I set up both units that way, will both be able to pull each others location? That would be what I need.

3) The options in the settings where you can specify a time and a distance:
3a) Are they for auto-sending once time/moving distance has passed?
3b) Will they work with your suggested setup above?

4) OK, it seems I did now understand the auto-sending option in the settings (other than the 2 GPS ones below).
It means the gpstrace4locus App will "auto-send the received Coordinate to the Locus App on the same device" correct?
If so you should rename that so one can understand this. For example "Locus update interval" or similar.
I did assume this is something about auto-sending of the SMS to the other device.

5) did just try to setup as suggested but I can not enter any name for the Emulator. Seems to be a bug.

I can help testing in case you need some testing maybe.

Bzw. I would recommend clarifying the options by adding a help button to each screen instead writing a manual.

*** Mobil gesendet ***
  •  

ville_sml

1) If the locus sms receiver would work, then it would be possible to send location from locus by using share feature.

1a) The locusSMS is receive only

2) Setup should both ways, however the app can still leave the sms into inbox. It was not actually designed to work both ways,

3) In preferences the options are for internal gps, how often the gps on the phone should try to get location from satellites.
3a) No, they limit only how aggressive is the gps chip.
3b) The periodic uptate on main screen will to automatic updates on certain intervals. It is limited to 20 updates.

4) Auto send is very poorly named, I'm sorry for that. Most of the strings I have written were first in Finnish -> translated to English. It should say: Automatically show received points in Locus (No notification of received point).

5) Probably a bug. I will try to put a beta version to here, where is most of the bugs are fixed.

•  

Gorkde

Hello,

Just did test your suggested setup. It's working both ways BUT:

1) You should add a timeout for sending SMS of for example 20 seconds where if you click Pull again he opens a Window like "SMS already sent, waiting for response, do you really want to send another? YES/NO-Button

2) My received Coordinate are 66.4 km east of where the other really is. So there should be a coordinate bug.

*** Mobil gesendet ***

•  

ville_sml

Hello

I did some work and here is beta version of new gpstrace. There has been some major changes, so this version is beta. If you see any issues, please give me feedback.

Most important changes:
Fixed Unicode issue.
Fixed MPTP emulator coordinate offset.
Change to new locus api.

•  

Gorkde

Thanks, will try soon, I met my buddy today, so it will probably take a week now. Will give you feedback asap.
Do We need to set it up as before or can Locus provider be used now?

*** Mobil gesendet ***

•  

ville_sml

You can try both. The locus sms receiver should now also work.
  •  

Gorkde

OK, thx

*** Mobil gesendet ***

•  

gynta

Quote from: ville_sml on February 23, 2014, 15:33:16If you see any issues, please give me feedback.

about http://forum.locusmap.eu/index.php?topic=2498.msg26325#msg26325 : imiss updated "how to"

because there is no "new" in new apk

new apk / google play

Gorkde

Just did a quick test, I saw him about 100m east of his correct position, but this might be because incorrect GPS data. Need to test once he is here next week.

edit
That is just a prerelease as far as I know to allow us to use it until the final bugs are fixed
  •  

ville_sml

True. Release will be made to google play.

Here is the updated manual:

Press [MENU]-> providers
Press [MENU] -> New

(1. Device that sends SMS: )
-Select MPTP sms emultor (Emulates gps transmitter)
-[MENU]->Save

(2. Device that receives SMS: )
-Select MPTP SMS
- Set type (icon of the point displayed)
-leave periodic support unchecked (emulator does not support)
-[MENU]->Save
  •  

gynta

Quote from: ville_sml on February 23, 2014, 19:08:28Here is the updated manual:
Press [MENU] -> New...
"there IS NO "New"

ville_sml

The button in upright bar are [points] [messages]
Messaging functionality is still under development.

Original function:

Quote from: ville_sml on January 20, 2014, 19:25:28
Open settings -> providers
Press [MENU] -> New

New version:

Quote from: ville_sml on February 23, 2014, 19:08:28
Press [MENU]-> providers
Press [MENU] -> New

In order to create new provider:
Press phones menu button in main screen to invoke menu in lower part of screen.
From there select Providers.
  •  

Gorkde

There is a new button but you have to press the phones menu button once the little Window is open. Took me some time to find that as well.

Bzw...  Do I have to press show each time now? Is the data not submitted to Locus automatically?

*** Mobil gesendet ***

•