Compass behavior on Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS

Started by emobo, September 04, 2012, 21:20:34

emobo

Hi there,

I've been using Locus for a while now, and have been constantly impressed with it's growth over the years. I find it an indispensable tool for hiking and an excellent travel companion.

I recently acquired a Samsung Galaxy S2X (T989D Telus model of the T-Mobile Hercules) and have been experiencing problems with the compass support.

Note: It seems like compass support for this device is not very stable according to my experience with other apps, so I'm wondering if there is something I can do to improve it for Locus.

Findings so far:
- Google maps - works well, compass seems to find north fine
- GPS Status compass function - appears to be 180 off
- Smart compass - this one seems to work well
- Locus - the compass occasionally lines up, but it doesn't track movements correctly. Turning right, the "show view" shows that I've turned left. It's almost like the compass data is flipped.

I've also noticed it's extremely sensitive to how flat I hold the phone. if i hold it flat, the orientation data seems to flip easily.

Overall, I'm not very confident that I can use the compass functionality reliably. This isn't a major concern to me, but I'd love to get the feedback from others out there how their experience using the compass support from Locus. Especially if they have a similar device.

Finally, to menion - thanks again for providing such an awesome tool!

Take care!
  •  

jusc

sorry for delay,
Yes there is an issue with S2 and 4.0.4. The compass doesn´t work correctly in the first minutes. I compared the "View Direction" on S2 with the Galaxy Tab (2.3.5) I think, that was correct. But after retrying after some minutes without stopping compass and GPS (at S2) it seems to work now. Strange.
Can you try it again please? Leave the building, start GPS. Wait for GPS fix, start compass and choose View Direction, while not moving.
If it doesn´t work leave it as it is, wait 5 minutes and look again.
Regards J.
  •