Whats the best method for downloading a large atlas

Started by davisdesigns, August 31, 2012, 02:22:31

davisdesigns

Whats the best method for downloading a atlas with a zoom of 18 in satellite imagery of Pureto Rico & US Virgin islands.

ESRI, ARCGIS, google... any of those that are clear at that zoom level.

Thanks for any help or if someone can send me a map
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "davisdesigns"Whats the best method for downloading a large atlas?
MOBAC & patience  8-)
Quote from: "davisdesigns"...or if someone can send me a map
5.5GB? Are you sure your android can handle this huge file size?

davisdesigns

I have about 15gb of maps stored under BCNAV on my SD card, for some reason they tipple in size when copying to the card.  I had to copy the files over in in batches less than 4gb due to FAT fileing system.

Been trying to figure out how to get MOBAC to work with Locus, been reading this thread viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4
but still clue less as to how to get it to work????  a step by step how to would be nice...

Some one posted you can make maps from google earth,  but the details are less than vague  "Mobile_Atlas_Creator_1.8_SQLite.zip (..... + Google Earth, + GMaps , minus Google Terrain . and more Maps) "

Not sure why this is so complicated,  my old Delorme gps, all I had to do was highlight an area and send it to the gps unit

I'm willing to send a "donation $$" to someone that can make the map for me.
  •  

davisdesigns

"SQLite (optional)

Some atlas formats uses a SQLite database for storing the tiles. For creating SQLite database the additional Java library SQLiteJDBC is required. MOBAC has been tested with sqlitejdbc-v056.jar - newer versions should also work.

Installation of the additional SQLite libraries is pretty simple: Just jownload the JAR file and place it in the same directory where Mobile_Atlas_Creator.jar is located. Alternatively you can place it in any path covered by the JAVA search path. The next time MOBAC is started the SQLite library is loaded and can be used."

The link to SQLiteJDBC  is dead so not sure if its the same as any other file I googled and downloaded with the same name?   Also I have no clue what a JAR file is or where to get one or the one I need to create the map I want?
  •  

davisdesigns

Ok I downloaded those two files and saved them in the MOBAC folder, created an output file "RMaps SQLite" and moved it to my SD card and it worked ! 24Mb though

So how do I get MOBAC to open ESRI maps so I can convert them?
  •  

eccentric_

Read though this guide
http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... nline_maps

The reference locations for the maps,
http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services

Below is an example xml used in MOBAC
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<customMapSource>
<name>ERSI world sat</name>
<minZoom>0</minZoom>
<maxZoom>19</maxZoom>
<tileType>png</tileType>
<tileUpdate>None</tileUpdate>
<url>http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer/tile/{$z}/{$y}/{$x}.png</url>
<backgroundColor>#000000</backgroundColor>
</customMapSource>
  •