Data directory on external SD as of latest update

Started by curio, August 25, 2012, 10:16:03

curio

Hello,

On my ICS SGS2, I used to have Locus's data directory on my external SD card ("/mnt/sdcard/external_sd/Locus"). As of the latest update, however, Locus ignores that location and creates a new directory on the internal SD instead. As the internal SD is VFAT, I also can't simply symlink the actual directory there.

So, my question is, has there been some intentional change to how Locus handles its data directory (nothing in the changelog), and how can I get it to use the external SD again?
  •  

Menion

Hi curio,
  there were no changes in last version. What is absolute path to your internal SD please? May you also give me content of "/etc/vold.fstab" file? Thanks

and also, try to completely delete duplicate folder, this may helps!
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

curio

The internal SD path is "/mnt/sdcard".  "vold.fstab" is attached.

Deleting the "Locus" folder on the internal SD results in it being recreated, already tried that. ;-)
  •  

Menion

hmm I see it. it's because in your fstab file are both information, on internal and also external and Locus ignore comment before. I'll improve into next version. if you want quick fix, you may change order of "# internal sdcard" and "# external sdcard" in fstab, delete duplicate folder and restart phone. This should help, but as I wrote, I'll to improve it to next version
  •  

curio

You sure changing the order will work, as the external SD is mounted on a sub-directory of the internal one?  I'd expect that mount to be inaccessible if "/mnt/sdcard" is mounted later on.

In any case, thanks for quickly looking into things! :-)
  •  

Menion

ah sorry, you're right. Rather not change it :) sorry .. I'll fix it on my side, much better solution
  •  

curio

Menion, stop that: it's turned out it was an issue after a kernel update (which however strangely only seemed to affect Locus). Things work again now.

Sorry about the noise, and thanks for your support! :-)
  •  

Menion

hey, how is this possible? Is fstab file changed? Because if not, this problem should be still .. ah damn, it shouldn't.

I'll try to explain Locus system a little bit: (what happen after start)
1. create list of all possible places for placing root directory Locus
2. checking if some of them already contain Locus directory
3. if more then one contain, report issue "Duplicate folder found", if only one - use it and finally if none exists, create one in "best directory". And for you this should be first item in fstab. Anyway if you already have directory Locus in "/mnt/sdcard/external_sd" directory, Locus should use it. Weird that this do not happen ...

how should some kernel update affect this?? Interesting
  •  

curio

I use Siyah's kernel, and with the fixing update, he mentioned that he'd forgotten some umount during init, which was causing issues with some ROMs. I use the Lite'ning one, which was obviously affected. I don't know what that ROM may be doing special during boot and am not currently in a position to investigate. ;-)
  •  

curio

And yes, I too would have expected Locus to pick up the Locus directory on the external SD, which definitely was accessible (browsed it with a file explorer). Strange indeed.
  •  

Menion

nevermind, problem "solved" and useful information for me in case, this happen to somebody again. Thanks for it and enjoy Locus with correct directory :)
  •