Vector map build-in POI search

Started by Expro, August 22, 2012, 11:05:20

Expro

Since vector maps contains A LOT of information (like street names/number of buildings/names of places etc), why dont make them searchable?
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  it's planned, but not yet realized. Current vector format do not have such feature included, but it's just matter of time
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"Hi,
  it's planned, but not yet realized. Current vector format do not have such feature included, but it's just matter of time
Planned by mapsforge or planned by Locus?
  •  

Expro

What about custom feature? Option to import vector map (instead of just choosing it from withing a folder), and during importing -> build custom index for POIs.

Pros:
- format independent (works for any vector map extension, just write one import code for each one)
- does not requires waiting for format extension
Cons:
- additional coding
- index requires additional data space
  •  

Menion

planned by Locus. As I know there are no soon plans by mapsForge so my program on autumn, is to create simple database system + generator for POI & Address offline search. It's only a plan now but one of my most wanted (right next to OpenGL support) :)

Expro: I'm not creator of vector maps format, so this is not up to me
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"planned by Locus. As I know there are no soon plans by mapsForge so my program on autumn, is to create simple database system + generator for POI & Address offline search.
That was the answer I hoped for  :D
I understand it as search in mapsforge >=0.3.0 based maps
  •  

Menion

not sure, I rather think about separate file with POI/address database. Rather then searching in file that is not prepared for such task
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"not sure, I rather think about separate file with POI/address database. Rather then searching in file that is not prepared for such task
What I meant that Locus will be grabbing the information out of mapsforge vector maps. I don't care if they will be stored in extra file.
  •  

afaik

any update on this topic? this feature would be so nice because the vector maps are full of pois and we can't use them now :-(

thx!
  •  

Menion

this feature is currently in progress. It's plan that will be on 90% ready to use during 2Q/2013
  •  

tommi

Quote from: "menion"this feature is currently in progress. It's plan that will be on 90% ready to use during 2Q/2013
kidding: clocks in some area of Prague seem to be late forabout 3 quarters of a year.
serious: whow , I'm excited and curious.
  •  

Menion

I somewhere wrote that this will be ready in 3Q/2012? Hmm possible :). Most things in the end took much longer then expected ...
  •  

jajaballard

•  

Menion

Hi,

I'm still learing to better estimate required time on some tasks. For this, we need a better system to distribute data. We are working on this already almost an year and during April should be new Locus Store ready. So immediately after that, we start to work on offline POI & Address searching. So first estimate Q2/2013, was really very very bad, sorry ...
  •