google my maps sync

Started by joe_taku, July 14, 2012, 15:19:49

joe_taku

hello! thanks for the wonderful app. this is my first post, apologies if it has been covered somewhere else, i really did search first.

i travel very often for work and use locus to store maptiles offline and to access google my maps that i prepare ahead of time on my computer. so this is a really big ask, but it would be great to be able to edit these maps offline, then later sync changes back up to the google servers.

maybe there are other people like me who want a my maps editor?

anyway, even without this feature it's of course a great app. thanks!

oh yeah, and as long as we're editing google my maps, maybe the ability to drag and drop points to new locations?

thanks again!
  •  

Menion

Hello,
  question you're asking was not yet asked I think. Anyway there is one big problem with MyMaps. It's already more then an year, that Google market My Maps as a deprecated. This means that service is no longer developed and should be deleted anytime. They also wanted to delete it in I think May 2011, but users community was so strong that they leave it live. Anyway this do not change fact, that they may delete it ...

So this is main reason why I don't want to make some changes to current My Maps implementation, so I have to say sorry for an Offline sync. You have to use ability to edit My Maps online or use any other method

and drag&drop ... yes I know it's missing in Locus and editing of coordinates is sometimes little bit "nightmare". I'll try to improve it
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

tommi

[quote="menion"  and drag&drop ... yes I know it's missing in Locus and editing of coordinates is sometimes little bit "nightmare". I'll try to improve it[/quote]
A little bit off topic but as we talk about editing tracks here:
Drag&drop is available in "Add new route & measure" but not in "Track editor" and there are more such differences. Though both feature have from a users point have a lot of common functions (moving points, adding points, deleting points, maybe more?) they are quite different to handle in the GUI.
Menion, you already spent a lot of work to improve the GUI, I think it would be again a big improvement for the GUI if mentioned functions could be operated in a similar way.
  •  

joe_taku

thank you very much for the fast response!

i certainly understand why you wouldn't want to expand my maps support if google is cancelling the service soon.
as far as moving points around, i generally just create a new point and copy any info from the old one before deleting it.

well, time to export .kmls of all my google maps, thanks for the heads up!
  •  

Menion

I don't want to start calling some incorrect messages. My Maps do not end not and still works, but you may expect than soon or later ends. But it will not be over night. I'm sure that Google anounce it a long time ago.

tommi: It's not exactly same system. When you create new track, you may move only with points you created. Anyway I'll for sure do something with it
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

joe_taku

no worries, i periodically backup all my maps to kml anyway, and thanks to locus they're stored on my phone too. thinking about drag and drop, it's actually pretty clunky on the ios version of maps--very hard to place markers precisely, even at maximum zoom. just a thought, but since locus has a center cursor already, maybe it would be better a better system to first select a point to move, then use the cursor to choose the new location. hopefully this would also prevent accidentally moving points while panning/zooming.

thanks again!
  •