How to export and share as GPX ?

Started by LocusUser, July 11, 2012, 21:34:37

LocusUser

Hello,

a week or two ago, I recorded a few tracks, saved them, and then exported and shared them as .GPX files to my Dropbox folder. So far so awesome. But when I tried today, Locus refused to save as anything but "exportShare.zip", a non-descript named container, that was promptly overwritten five minutes later because even if it exists, Locus still can only save it with that specific name. I want to go back to the old way, where it exported/shared tracks as trackname.gpx. Am I doing something wrong, or was this changed in the meantime ? If so, is there a place where I could download an older version of Locus ?
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  this was change before around a two versions back. Main change was that one track was exported as a one GPX/KML file, more track was exported as zip "exportShare.zip". This was changed to current state where also one track is exported as a zip. Anyway as you wrote, name remain same, which is really a problem. I just yesterday changed this, so every export will have own name so there will not be possibility to overwrite it again. Zip also for one track will remain
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "menion"Zip also for one track will remain
Why this? It´s more clumsy then needful. Before you can use this file p. e. with a PC programm you have to unzip it.
Regards J.
  •  

gynta

Quote from: "jusc"Before you can use this file p. e. with a PC programm you have to unzip it.
one doubleklick more. but..
Quote from: "jusc"Why this? It´s more clumsy then needful.
...agree  8-)
maybe some moblie filemanager can handle this zip better then .gpx or .kml.
dont know...

jusc

As I started in January 2011 with Locus, the app was less than 2MB. Today it´s grown up to over 6MB. Sure there are some nice features more than at the beginning. But sometimes it seems, that menion looks nor to the right, nor to the left. Even if you gynta don´t know, why something was changed, I wonder what is the reason for this change.
P.E. on getsatisfaction menion wrote: "Changes I make are done to fix most people as possible." Maybe I missunderstand it, but who are these people? Perhaps people like me  :mrgreen: , because I use Locus mostly for "navigation" and recording tracks too. But nobody asks or asked me, if I want to have these changes, which make the handling of Locus more and more complicated.
If somebody would ask me, I would answer: "No I don´t want these changes too".
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

you think I should ask to everything community? In this case, I'll not probably do much work ...

if I don't look on left/right, I think that locus then will be absolutely unusable, which, I hope, isn't ...

reason for this, was to make things more clear and simple. So that every export will have same naming system and also will be always packed into zip. Not that it will be once GPX, once ZIP, once named by track, once only "shareExported.zip" ... etc. That's clear isn't it? Also long track should have more then 1MB, maybe a more, packed it's around 20% (+-), so much less and also much less to send over internet to dropbox etc ... extracting to zip is around .. wait .. yes, usually two clicks on every device.

You all want this confusing un-united system back, so one track will be in raw file, more will be packed??
  •  

LocusUser

I would appreciate that system (one track = trackname.gpx, multiple tracks = something.zip), yes. I understand if you decide no, but I would prefer yes.
  •  

Menion

guys, I don't know if you want to hear this, but:

1. I'm sometimes stubborn
2. I really like very very nice community that exists around locus
3. I also like the same way, how track files are exported in this version
4. ... so sorry ...

hmm ...

5. but I also have very nice "config.cfg" file for some special settings, that are not so important, but may be helpful
6. so check new settings "export_single_track_compressed" here http://docs.locusmap.eu/doku.php/manual ... ation_file. Will work in next 2.5.2 ... possible? ;)
  •  

gynta

nice solution

LocusUser

Thank you, that is very nice of you!
  •  

Menion

you're welcome ;)
  •