GPS enabling? Display?

Started by jusc, February 07, 2011, 11:36:07

jusc

While "Gps Essentials" is already searching satelites with enabled GPS, it seems that I have to start/enable gps within locus once more?

The Mororola Defy has a WVGA Display, so that maps of Openstreetmap must be locked in the highest zoomlevel to make in possible to get a "higher" zoom for reading the street names.  On the other side the lower original zoomlevels are not usable  on a smartphone. Is it possible to get the highest "normal" zoomlevels for readable street names?

Regards Jürgen
Regards J.
  •  

jusc

Today I used 0.9.15 first time. Great work, thank you again.

But I´m wondering about this:
Enabling GPS on the Defy abou a widget outside from Locus I can get a fix p. e. with another app GPS Essentials.
But in Locus I have to enable GPS once more, touching the gps icon.
On the other side stopping gps with locus does not stop the Android gps and I have to stop gps with the system widget too.
Is this so correct?

Regards Jürgen
Regards J.
  •  

Menion

Hi,
  yes this is correct. Locus is designed to be mapping software and gps is not needed. You should just watch map without gps (I hate google maps, that everytime I open, enable GPS). If you want GPS enabled everytime, just let GPS enabled when you quit Locus. Thanks to this, you can also simply use Bluetooth GPS. I like this way, Locus independently on system handle GPS.

You should also use quick enabling button (hold for a long gps icon in locus top panel).

answer for you previous post. There is currently no possibility to have default lock value on all zoom levels. If you need "bigger" map, you should lock current map layer. If you need to zoom, you have to unlock, zoom, lock ...

anyway, you're right, there should be any value that allow set in settings double-scaled map for every zoom ...
- Official help (ideas, questions, problems): help.locusmap.eu
- Advanced topics, sharing of knowledges: you're here!
- LM 4 Beta download, LM 4 Release download
  •  

jusc

Quote from: "menion"You should also use quick enabling button (hold for a long gps icon in locus top panel).

Oh, that´s what I have looked for. :oops:  Thanks

Regards Jürgen
Regards J.
  •  

Tusor

Hi,
unfortunatly for me the suggestion to leave GPS switched on in Locus does not work all the time. I understand that it should be a mapping software. But mostly I would like to see a map of the world around me (yeah I am sometimes an egoist  :D ). That's why I would like to have GPS on by default. Maybe you can add a setting for this.
  •  

Menion

How this is possible? You turn on GPS, then exit Locus with dialog "Do you want to exit" and when you start Locus again then GPS is not turn on automaticaly? What ROM do you use?
  •  

Tusor

I use the standard HTC-Rom. As I said it does not happen all the time. When I switch it on and exit and immediately start Locus again everything is fine. But maybe the next day or so it is'nt on any more
  •  

elmuSSo

Quote from: "Tusor"Hi,
unfortunatly for me the suggestion to leave GPS switched on in Locus does not work all the time.

I have the same issue. It very tiring to turn GPS On everytime i want to quick find myself on the map.
I'm sorry that I doubled the topic here //http://forum.asamm.cz/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=611 .
  •  

jusc

The internal GPS seams to work as "Use the switched on system GPS or the Bluetooth GPS".
Mostly I use an external Bluetooth GPS. For my Defy (no custom rom) it seems that the Locus internal GPS state is as leaved Locus last time.  So that is ok for me.
The diffrence maybe, that I switch on Bluetooth GPS and wait for starting Locus not before I got a fix a sat fix

J.
Regards J.
  •  

elmuSSo

Auto GPS-ON works for me now. Did you change anything in the new version? If not, it looks like when I used GPS ON/OFF quick icon button, it activated auto-GPS-ON.
  •  

Menion

hmm interesting. Yes, some small changes in GPS part was done, but nothing that should have influence on this ... hmm to much mysteries :)
  •  

elmuSSo

I would say, that this auto-GPS is sometimes annoying. when I'm not recording a track, and I will exit the app by using HOME button instead of BACK ARROW(and confirm that i want to exit), gps is still ON and eating the battery. that is great in some situations (if i dont want to lose gps fix, Locus will keep it for me). but is there a chance to some additional option "turn off gps when not using it and user not in the app"? or maybe: "turn off gps when not in the app and not recording"? maybe some configurable time delay of that?
  •  

Menion

eh do you have last market version? this is surely working correctly in last version!!
  •  

stebu

Another related problem (or I just can't do it):
I want to keep the display on while GPS is on, so I go to settings and select the correct setting. It works fine until I power off the phone. After restart of phone and Locus, the display will not stay on when GPS is on. When I go to settings the correct option ("Only when GPS on") is already set, but I have to refresh the selection in order to get constant display on.
Has this been fixed in a new release? I have Locus free 1.7.4
  •